Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 killing deer with cars >

killing deer with cars

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

killing deer with cars

Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: killing deer with cars

In KY all you have to do is get a permit tag from a game warden and your fine. If the animal was hit in the middle of nowhere, they'll allow you to bring it to DNR for the tag. I don't know too many people who would be stupid enough to screw up their vehicle just to kill a deer. If the thing is hit on the side of the road, better to have someone make use of the meat.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, I've hit deer before and even small ones do alot of damage. I asked him the same thing and he didn't outright say they were rednecks but that's what he insinuated.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same here in Indiana.

ORIGINAL: Dampland

In Wisconsin, you have to get a tag from a Warden or Police Officer, before you can remove a road killed deer.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 PM

ive known of some who have accidentally slammed on the wrong pedal.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, I was at the checking station when a guy stopped by to check in a huge buck that he found on the side of the road after it was hit by a car. It was obvious that a car had caused the death, but the fact that he checked it in was kinda funny. It WAS a huge buck though!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:07 AM

I was hunting yesterday morning for about three hours. Didn't see a thing. As I was going to my truck I heard a gunshot. It was more like a pistol shot though. As I pulled on to the main road away from my hunting spot, I saw a Howard county cop standing in the middle of this guy's yard, looking down at something. I stopped my truck in the middle of the road and walked over to him asking "did you shoot a fox"? He said no, a deer and as I walked up, I saw a button buck in it's last throes of life. He said "do you think it's dead, I shot it in the head" and I touched it's eyeball with my boot and said "yes, it's just his nerves cycling off". He then asked me "do you want it"? and I said yes.

He walked over to his car and filled out a deer tag while I loaded the buck in the truck. The cop told me that he is always being called out by landowners for deer injured by cars and collapsing on their property; he hated to see them go to waste and thanked me for taking the animal. He wanted to know if I was local to the area, he actually wanted someone to call to take the deer that he was called out for to put down!!! Unfortunately, I am about thirty miles from that location, If I was local, I'd probably wouldn't ever have to hunt again to get meat!

I took the young buck home, deboned it and it's in the refrigerator waiting to be processed into jerky.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

Old 12-18-2005, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: recurver67

Here in MI you can take it but it has to have a tag from a police officer or you'll get in hot water.
hes right im from michigan also
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

It used to be illegal here in PA and I'm not sure how the laws have changed but I believe you can call and a get a permit now as well....perhaps a fellow Pennsylvanian can elaborate.
Im almost 100% sure that it is still illegal to take a deer that was hit by a car. I have heard of the permit that you can bye to take a deer that you find laying along a road.Although a friend of mine found a nice buck and called the game commission to ask if he could take it and they told him that he would be fined if he did. So now I am a little confused on what the actual law is.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

In CT the DEP has to tag it & then you can take it. I have a friend that got tied in with the police somehow & they call him when one gets hit for him to go & get it.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Here in ND you can keep the deer as long as you get a permit from alaw enforcement officer. I found out the hard way yesterday[:'(]. I hit a doe with my truckon my way out hunting, but after looking she wasn't worth keeping[:'(].

I don't think there would be anyone dumb enough to intentionally hit a deer with their vehicle. But then again, there are people that will do anything to kill a buck, or any deer for that matter, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Quick Reply: killing deer with cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.