Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do coyotes effect deer movement >

Do coyotes effect deer movement

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do coyotes effect deer movement

Old 12-02-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Do coyotes effect deer movement

Here lately there's been alot a coyote's moving in the morning, Will this affect the deer because we haven't seen ANY.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do coyotes effect deer movement

I would have to say no. Just my opinion though. I have shot about 4 coyotes now and missed a couple. And on 2 or 3 of the shots, there happen to be deer within 40 yards. Granted, I didn't know that they were there, but after I shot and the yotes made some noise, they raised the flag and ran.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say yes and no. I would by all means say if you see them to take them out. We have no bag limit or closed season on yotes here in Ohio.

Last year I arrowed a buck 40 yards downwind from a coyote that was cruising for breakfast.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

no based on my experience
Old 12-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too have watched coyotes and deer interact within the same field. The only time the deer actually became alarmed on the yotes is if the yotes approached them. Other than that, they didn't pay much attention to one another.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen any yotes this year, but I have heard them every morning and evening from my stand. It may be chance, but the deer moovement has decreased a lot since I started hearing them.

I actually shot a doe this year and had a pretty good tracking job (600 yards) It was dark and as I continued to track, I heard a yote about 250 yards a way. 20 minutes later, he was about 100 yards away.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:30 AM

i have seen fox chasing after deer....so maybe
Old 12-02-2005, 04:52 PM

they will scare deer away. especially when more than one. if their is just a loner running around anda single deer it wont usually scare them away but when there is a pack of coyotes and a few deer the 'otes wont bother them and deer wont run
Old 12-02-2005, 07:45 PM

I sure do think they do. Was out deer hunting in SW Wisconsin for gun season and nothing was moving, even the guys who usually walk around werent pushin anything around. Then low and behold around noon, a coyote ran into some think stuff another hunter pushedthrough less then 15 minutes before, and not more then 30 seconds after the yote jumped in there....8 does come running out and right behind um was they yote. Well i did not get a shot but my dad took a doe and they ran past my little bro who shot one on the run, dropped her, and they with the yote still behind um they ran past another hunting buddy who then shot the yote. Quite intersting seeing as that is an area that covers over 1.5 miles.

So i guess they do.
Theinespines
Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 PM

I would have to say yes. I had a huge 8 point crossing a creek once and started to head up the trail I was in a stand on. He got about 40 yards away and then bolted downt the creek. Bewildered I looked around and seen a yote barreling down the trail towards the buck. Chased him down the creek. Now to legacy357's response. Ive seen a fox chase a deer but the deer turned around and chased the fox. This happened for about 30 minutes or so. I guessed they were playing with each other. Even when I use fox pee as a cover scent, I get spotted by the yearlings every time. When I use coon pee, the yearlings dont even bother with it.

Quick Reply: Do coyotes effect deer movement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.