Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
before I buy.... your thought's on scent-lok >

before I buy.... your thought's on scent-lok

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

before I buy.... your thought's on scent-lok

Old 10-11-2002, 07:36 AM

Default RE: before I buy.... your thought's on scent-lok

I've always been a big advocate of the Scent-lok suit. I've had deer within several feet of my stand, downwind from me, and never I'm there. But, as mentioned before, you have to make sure that your body is as scent free as possible. Take a shower with scent free soap, make sure all your under garmets are washed with scent free detergent and spray yourself and each layer of clothing with scent killer as you get dressed. I also wear rubber knee boots with scent pads on the bottom.

The only drawback I've heard about the Scent-lok suit is that your dryer has to reach a very high temp to activate the charcoal in the suit? Can't remember what the temp was, but I do recall that it's higher than most home dryers can reach?
Old 10-11-2002, 08:01 AM

Ahem! Regardless of brand, it is "activated charcoal" that is being used.

Activated charcoal can only trap a certain amount of some odor producing molecules before it is saturated and has to be reactivated. Washing alone will not cleanse activated charcoal and the suggested temperature range to cleanse the charcoal, 300 to 450 degrees in the oven for one hour, would soon destroy the material, if not immediately. Additionally, all tech articles on activated charcoal state that while being reactivated the charcoal cannot be exposed to oxygen and gases.

Considering that it is estimated that a deer can smell 400 times better than you and I can, and can detect 20 minuscule odors at one time, What about your face, your breath, your hands (deer can pick up the odor from hands, gear you carry with you e.g., bow, pack, arrows, food, etc? Also, activated charcoal cannot not trap all odor producing molecules, some which are common to the human body.

However, if you have the $ to blow, it is your business how you spend your money.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard the same thing c903. They work at first but when the charcoal becomes saturated they stop working. Tossing it in the dryer or washing it will not reactivate the charcoal and the temperatures necessary to cause the charcoal to release the absorbed molecules are so high it would destroy the rest of the suit. Until I hear a factory rep explain why the above isn't true in a rather convincing way I will not be selling out hundreds of dollars for one of these suits. Besides I have been killing deer for years without such a suit anyway.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2002, 10:23 AM

I have the Cabela's brand and I have had deer close and downwind of me and never had one blow at me. I wash with scent-free stuff as well. I have had one look funny in my direction, but it apparently blocked enough odor to keep her from being too alarmed. I have been very sweaty and had no indication that they winded me.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 10-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in need of new hunting clothes after the 2000 season. That winter, Cabelas had a winter sale including scent-lok. Plus one of my favorite areas, a 75 acre hill often gets a swirling wind throughout the season. So I thought what the heck, why not. It was reasonable, I'd heard plenty good about it. Well last yr, and so far this season I've seen more deer then ever before in my 14yrs of bowhunting. I've had several come in downwind, that rarely ever occurred before. I told friends last season of my adventures wearing it, and several laughed at me, some commenting its a gimmick, and just coincidence. Well now with what I've alreadly seen this year again, and deer coming in downwind. Noone I know is laughing anymore. What I've experienced in the woods alreadly this year is more then I'd experience in a full season of hunting in Northern NY before scent-lok, and I've played the scents game for yrs.
Now some word of advice. Like many here have said, its not FUll PROOF. I never purposely setup downwind of expected movement. But those crazy brown critters have a tendency to outwit us, and showup anyplace sometimes. I did get busted once this year by a downwind doe, but that was after I had drawn on her, and had to letdown. She heard it, and went on alert and scented me. I still bath in scent soaps, use scent eliminating sprays on my rubber boots, and gear. I don't spray anything on the scent-lok, and haven't used a cover scent this year at all as my own little test. I do recommend following the directions that come with scent-lok. I read someplace I can't recall where it should last 5 yrs following recommended procedures. But don't hold me to that. I purchased scent-lok pants, a shirt, baseball cap, and breathe mask. I've been considering a coat still. I think some overlook the breath thing, and thats real important. Last yr I had a big old doe come in downwind of me, it was too dark for a shot by the time she got in range. She smelt some deer scent I had on the ground didn't like it, and turned back the way she came. I pulled my mask down after she was out of sight. Within a few seconds she started blowing at me. I swear thats true, she was directly down wind of me the whole time, and never scented me until I dropped that mask! I'll buy it again when & if needed without hesitation!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:45 PM

I've got a 3-D Scent Lok and I have to say I love it. My wife was kind enough to buy it for me last Christmas.

I did want to mention chem suits. You may want to try those. I bought a couple of those before the scent lok and I had great success with those. Plus the best part, they were only $ 10 a pop (hooded top and pants. You might want to check out chem suits before buying a Scent Lok suit. You can find them at [www.sportsmansguide.com] Search men's clothing for chemical suits. They have a camo suit available (British Military issued Chemical Suit). The only problem with Chem suits is that the charcoal rubs off on to your undergarments - to the point that they are black. But hey if you've got old thermals and you want to save a little money this year give chems suits a try. By the way if you wear a large size buy medium they really run big. Just my opinion.