Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting in pines >

hunting in pines

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting in pines

Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 PM

Default hunting in pines

At our land we hunt out of 350 acres or so i would say at least 200 are very thick young pines. They are no taller than 10 feet and it would be very hard to get in without being noticed and i dont think i could set up a stand. however, there is lots of sgin in them and it seems like all of the deer just stay back in the pines. does anyone have any ideas on how to hunt in them or around them thanks for any help
Old 11-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting in pines

They could be bedding in them.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 PM

I have the same thing and still harvested 2 nice buck on saturday, but I do have some cypress swamps and i was able to plant three small foodplots so I use some towers and also climbers.

I have 2 blinds and they have also produce, you must leave all vehicles far from the area, as it sounds like a bedding area.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Pop up blind or hunt the edges. Deer love edges.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you gun hunt it drive it. Or next season cut some paths in and set up some stands.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM

if i were you i'd just put some cheap deer co-cain from sportsmansguide.com on the near the edges of the pines and put up a blind or something and make sure you have a clear view-point and you know the rest
Old 12-09-2005, 07:35 PM

I just read an article in our local state magazine, and trust me it applied very well, cause Georgia is covered with the little pines. One of the points of the article was to try to find and open spots in the pines that are secluded, the deer seem to like them. Another point was to hunt the edges nearest to their food source, but if you ask me, if they don't come out until after dark, then there is nothing you can do about it. The third idea, which requires the most "off-season" work, but certainly seems to me like it'd be worth it, is strategically making trails in the pines with a chainsaw or machete just big enough for a person t walk through without making a lot of noise. And when i say strategic i mean making alot of trail intersections, then hunting them. Supposably, the deer jsut call these trails home and travel them without being hesitant. All i know is the guy said it really worked. Something to think about.