Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration? >

HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

Old 11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

Maybe switch to 3 blade for now. My bow is so old i cant pull back the 70# on it. But i can on the new bows. Since u have the low poundage move down to 3 blade 100 grains.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:15 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Even at that yardage and that poundage I would think you should have gotten better penetration. I would guess you hit a little higher than you thought and went into the loin muscle. With a high hit and single lung you would not get a good blood trail either. Chest cavity has to fill up before it starts running out the hole. Bow tune also could have a lot to do with it. At that range if your arrow doesn't hit square you will lose a lot of energy and penetration will suffer greatly. I use a 125gr 3 blade muzzy and have been very impressed with them.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Spike

Soilarch,that is so far,just think how much K.E. a shotgun slug loses at 55 yards,if you only hit 2 inches high ,Congrats thats a heck of a shot, you deserve that deer,,good luck the rest of the season,i hope they come closer for ya...............
Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 PM

Ok I have a question. How the heck does someone discern that a hit is 2" off at 55 yards. You would be lucky to tell that it hit the chest at all nevermind if it is 2 inches off your aim point. Heck your sight pin probably covers more area than that at that range.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 PM

The average Male usually guesses "larger" or "bigger"..I'm too surprised it was only 2" high.
Hech, I woulda said atleast 6" No really, we can only comment on what he told us. We weren't
there and under the "Perfect" circumstances one "could" asertain just how bad the
"miss" was....arrowdeflection, trajectory...the sun in relation to venus.....Sorry
Old 11-29-2005, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

and Muzzy's suck
If anyone else has any of those Muzzys they dont want send them my way Ill take them off your hands.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:52 PM

Hey Sharkey...i wont giv'em to ya but I'm selling 2 sets.
I'm still shoot'em though. Look in classified. Back to original
programming.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't seem to have the setup to make a clean kill at those ranges. Keep em shorter.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 PM

Have you ever been hunting? Or played High School or College Sports...at big moments everything seems to slow down everything's clearer. I saw exactly were my arrow hit (it was 4:00 with light overcast). When I say 2" high I meant 2" above what I would consider the top border for a "clean kill shot". I hadn't thought of removing 2 blades. I may try that and see how drastic the POI change is with the practice blades. The tuning may be an issue as well. Honestly I figured if I was getting good groups at 40yards with arrows all parallel my tuning fits were over...maybe not
Old 11-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I'll weigh in here.
First, I shoot 90 gr. 4 blade Muzzys. Always have and probably always will. Excellent penetration. Always a pass through, even when hitting bone.
Only one exception, when I made a bad shot on a deer almost directly under me. I hit backbone and rib and still went all the way to the bottom of the cavity. Dead deer in 70 yards.
Second, I would never take that long a shot with a bow.
I've practiced at 45 yds, but it would have to be mr. right for even that long a shot.
Not to criticize, but at 55 yds, a deer can make a lot of movement before even a fast arrow reaches him.

That arrow had to be dead in the water to only get 4-5 inches!!!
The broadhead isn't the problem.
I've got too many 4 blade Muzzy kills to believe it was the broadhead.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.