Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED* >

Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Default RE: Confirm my thoughts please?

We got back at about 6:45 this morning and she was not where we left her laying in the field. And, the weather forecast was extremely wrong as we had a thunderstorm last night which got rid of most of the 5 inches of snow on the ground. Tough road ahead....

We found the two places she bedded in the field and each had a little bit of blood in them, not much though and there are so many deer tracks in the field that we could not pick hers out, and there was no blood anywhere. This is a 30 acre picked cornfield surrounded by cattle pasture and a 4 strand barb wire fence. We started walking the fence all the way around the field looking for where she may have had trouble getting over or through it. No luck. A small finger of the fence juts into a piece of woods filled with deep ravines so I headed into there. Just off the field I looked and saw a deer bedded 30 yards ahead with her neck stretched out on the ground like how a dog lays. I put the gun up and and slowly moved towards her but she did not move. I got within ten yards and there had been no movement then suddenly a blink and I finished it from there. We got her!

Everyones, inluding mine, guess was wrong. The 20 ga slug entered back from the gut at the very beginning of the back ham and there was no blood around the entry hole nor in the three beds she had spent the night in. It hit no guts or vitals. The way she hunched and walked away I was sure of a gutshot

BUT we waited, we gave her 13.5 hours before starting and we found her in her bed. I am assuming she got very stiff over night and attempted to hide rather than run. I CANNOT PREACH ENOUGH THE IMPORTANCE OF WAITING TO TAKE UP THE TRAIL. Had we started after her she would have been gone with zero blood loss and nothing to follow. IF YOU DONT KNOW WHERE YOU HIT THEM AND WEATHER IS NOT A FACTOR, WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! Anyway a happy ending and a excellent lesson for my sister.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats on the follow thru and recovery. That's a big ole doe, I'm sure your sister is happy she found her deer.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 AM

way to go!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job to you and your sister. With that cold weather you will still be able to enjoy the meat too. Good work.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

AWESOME!!!!! GLAD TO SEE YOU GOT HER!!! WAY TO GO!!!!
Tell your sis congrats!!!

So the slug actually entered behind the guts? Didn't hit anything vital....just through the hams? Nontheless....glad to see you found her!

Nice pic too!
Congrats again..I was rooting (sp) for you.
Steven
Old 11-27-2005, 10:42 AM

good job!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice job. Thats a real good doe.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it. You did the right thing. My thought was a gut shot also. Man that is a big doe...wow.

Congrats to sis
Old 11-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Duh....excuse me but maybe I'm mistaken. You say back at the beginning of the ham. The guts go all the way back there too you know. Still sounds like a gut shot. Nice doe. Congrats to little sis and a great job of getting out of dodge.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

nice big doe! great job

Quick Reply: Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.