Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY... >

Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Old 12-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

VC, good post my friend. Great to hear from you.

I have had in my mind a ratcheting type system marketed as a bow hunting product for years that utilizes the same concept, if not exactly the same system. That is where it ends though - just a thought. I've never done a thing about it. I am going to seriously check into this. My son will hunt with me next season, I want him safer than I've been for the past 24 years.

This past season woke me up to how fast an accident can happen. I had a step break on me. Fortunately it was the second step from the ground so I wasn't injured. What if it had been the second from the stand? Whew.

As the season wears on, safety, in my opinion, becomes more crucial. In my state, December hunting means more clothing and bigger boots making climbing more cumbersome. I've slipped on steps and the platform of the stand more than once. I believe it's time to stop taking advantage of the blessing of good fortune after all these years of staying safe and invest in a safer climbing system.

What type of harness are you using?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, badshot, great to hear from you also compadre.

The harness that I use is the full-body harness that is provided when you purchase a Summit stand.

When I was 21, I separated a shoulder while surfing. It reminds me everyday that I was young and invincible once. Now as you say, "the season wears on" so to speak and I'm wearin' out slowly. If I fell, I doubt that I'd bounce quite as well as I used to back in the day.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Summit also has the rope, just bought one after Davidmil showed me his.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:51 AM

mobowhuntr,
the tag end does need to be attached to the bottom of the tree, unless your pack and bow are heavy enough to keep the bottom in place as you climb.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 AM

I was suggesting the prusic knot for those who are concerned with the noise factor of metal, slapping the tree or hitting a metal tree peg. I have used the prusic knot myself for 4 years. the only thing i have run into is , if you fall the knot sinches up so thight that it may have to be cut away from the main rope and another intsalled. other than that the system is very quit and easy to use.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
neb
Typical Buck

vc111

I just got an ascender and some rope for my son to use for tree stand hunting. I really think it is a great tool for hunting. I hope I can talk him in to using it. I have one question for you when you come down do you just pull the cable on the release and climb down then pull it agqin then climb down some more. I was thinking that it had a release that would let youcome down easy and catch if a fall happened when going down. It will have to be easy to use or he won't use it. Thanks for your idea and sharing it with us.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Mobowhuntr,
I think that the pack and/or bow idea as an anchor for the tag line is a good one. I use this particular rope and knot system for my fixed position stand and have a problem when climbing. If the tag line is not secured to something you can't slide the prusic knot up the rope. I have tied it to the tree, but just did not like it that way as it seemed to be too close to the tree and difficult to manage...probably just me, but I did not like it. With the pack and/or bow, you can place them a foot or so from the base of the tree and then use it as the haul line as you suggest. I believe that most packs (i know mine...since I carry so much crap ) would be heavy enough to hold it in place.
I plan to test this out...oh, lets see.....hmmmm, Friday.
Good Luck,
Craig
Old 01-03-2006, 09:12 AM

I just posted on another thread above this one re prussik knots.
There are systems which are hands free so to speak such as the Petzl ASAP ($160) and the Yates Rocker ($90) but they are prohibitively expensive.
But as someone else quoted, still cheaper than a wheelchair
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Mind,

I'm curious as to what your point is? Are you saying that since you are "in shape" that you are not at risk to fall?

Do Icy or Slick conditions not increase the chances of a "flat belly" to fall? Do skinny hunters not lose concentration or whatever else prompts someone to fall in the first place?

If so, why did you purchase a safety vest just to let is collect dust?

PS. I'm a perfectly fit individual and do not feel immune to an accident.

ORIGINAL: The Mind

vc1111 I would guess a large part of those who "fall" from tree stands do not fall from the stand itsself, rather as they are climbing up or down the tree. I bought a very good safety vest last fall and have not used it one time. Just like a man who is out of shape can only say " well, I just haven't set my mind to it " so it is with me and my safety vest.

Something to think about, isn't it ?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since this is around stand set up time of the year, I'm going to bump this ttt.

Quick Reply: Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.