Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need help!

Old 10-09-2002, 09:00 PM

Default I need help!

Hey guys
On Saturday I missed a nice buck at 22 yards, and now tonight I shot at a doe, and grazed some hair off her brisket. She trotted off. My deal is, what the heck is going on? You see, I'm not a bad bow shot. I've been bowhunting for 6 years, since I was 14 years old. Prior to this season I had shot at 5 deer, and 3 went in the freezer. Now this year I miss two in less than a week. I don't know what the problem is. Usually when a deer was in range, I would pick a spot, and send the arrow right there. Now these last two, I just shot at the whole vital area. I don't use sights, so you can see the problem with not picking a spot. It's not buck fever, I've shot 8 deer with a bow or gun, including a near P&Y buck. Now I just can't seem to hit. Has anybody ever went through this? Bowhunting is my passion/obession, and I feel like I'm failing, big time.
Also, what would you do in my situation? I missed both deer on the same trail. I was thinking about moving my stand 50 yards or so further into the woods, hoping that the deer won't be spooked further back. The doe I missed tonight started to run, then just trotted off, so I don't think she was too spooked. I'm just worried that they may avoid the exact area, and maybe a minor stand move will be worth it. Thanks for all you help, any comments will be greatly appreciated.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 10-09-2002, 09:30 PM

Default RE: I need help!

And just before I get yelled at for wounding a deer, the arrow that I shot at the doe had no blood on the arrow or in or on the broadhead, no blood on the ground, just some hair on the broadhead. I'm sorry, but I have a feeling somebody will lay into me saying that I left a wounded deer in the woods.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 10-09-2002, 09:50 PM

I guess you've been shooting without sites all along? Before you get so discourage you quit, maybe sites? My opinion on moving the stand is this, If the deer didn't bust you in the stand she will probably come back. I'd give it a little longer..Good Luck..Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-09-2002, 09:56 PM

I guess you've been shooting without sites all along? Confidence means so much in this game. Before you get so discourage you quit, maybe sites? Sounds like you know what you need to do already. Of course, knowing and doing is 2 different things. Pick a spot, make a shot, and those 2 misses will soon be forgotten. My opinion on moving the stand is this, If the deer didn't bust you in the stand she will probably doen't know what it was that scared her. I bet she'll come back, give it a little longer..Good Luck..Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch