Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Neck Shot Conversation >

Neck Shot Conversation

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shot Conversation

Old 11-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Neck Shot Conversation

Well I p.o.'d an acquaintance of mine yesterday (through former work, he is not a hunting partner). He told me that he lost a nice 8 pt'r, hitting it in the neck. When I gave hima questioning look ([:'(]), he said it was the only shot he had. I told him 'you had no shot' and that he should have waited for another day; he said he had made several bow-killswith neck shots, and this was the first he'd lost. Thiswasnot the first time I had argued with him on the subject ("It must have been a good shot, I got the deer didn't I?").

Rather than carry on the discussion, he got in his truck shaking his head and left in a huff...Well, I along with many of you, get fed up with yahoos who "play the lottery" while bowhunting, and I do not give them slack when (?) they screw upand should know better... He is an O.F. (as am I,), and anything I say is not going to change his behavior, other than not telling me anymore of his miscues. Any thoughts on mytact or neck shots?
-fsh
Old 11-24-2005, 05:00 AM

Default RE: Neck Shot Conversation

I ONCE KILLED A DEER WITH A NECK SHOT YEARS AGO BEFORE I KNEW BETTER
I AGREE ITS NOT AGOOD SHOT.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

"its the only shot I had" is not a reason to take a bad shot.
I agreewith you, but this will probably get good, as there seems to be several who support neck shots.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:37 AM

2 seasons ago a hunting partner shot a doe,the arrow deflected off a twig and the arrow hit the neck.
BIG blood trail and the deer only went about 40 yards.
Good shot?
NO
It worked but as we stood over the doe we talked about how it could've been a tragic outcome by wounding the deer.
Yep, IF you hit the jugler vein it will kill the deer quickly
If you don't and you won't a lot of times no matter how good a shot you are you will wound the deer.

I rate it as low as a spine shot

"the only shot I had" speaks loudly of this guy.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not with a bow, no way. Mostly muscel in the neck and as we all know arrows don't do a good job on muscel.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless accidental, I agree you have no shot.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, heck I don't even think a neck shot with a gun is a good idea. Boiler room or bust. I have missed the boiler room twice (LIVERS) but through hard work looking I recovered both deer. One was a 150 class whitetail. Nope no neck shot for me thank you.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:21 AM

I think it's effective with a centerfire, and sometimes with a slug gun, but not a bow.

A fast bullet can utilize shock to take an animal down. With an arrow you have to hit the vitals and even then they go a ways sometimes. If I can't get a double lung shot the deer walks.

Paul
Old 11-24-2005, 10:15 AM

I do not even like the neck shot with a slug gun.I know people who would choose to shoot one there with a slug gun and I still call them stupid.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:05 PM

Too risky in my opinion...I had to let a decent little 10 pointer walk yesterday...but that's for another thread.

Quick Reply: Neck Shot Conversation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.