Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A little help please >

A little help please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little help please

Old 11-23-2005, 10:21 PM

Default A little help please

I purchased some new boots two weeks ago trying to prepare for the colder weather that is about to come. Well since I bought them, I have been spraying them down and leaving them outside to try and get that "new" smell off them. I figure that if I can smell that new rubber smell, I know the deer can to. Well, yesterday I had set up in a spot that I can hunt where there is little pressure from the gun crowd here in VA. I started a rattling sequence and a few minutes later I hear two deer blowing like crazy about 50 yds. behind me. The deer came the way I was expecting them to, but when they reached the path where I walked in, they smelled those boots. How can I get that smell off? I'm hunting again Friday and it's supposed to be cold. I HATE for my feet to get cold.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A little help please

Try soaking the bottoms in water mixed with baking soda.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you approach away from the trail that the deer take? Also try some cover scent or scent killer if its real bad carry your boots in and put them on in stand.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:02 AM

Ransome, here is a little thing I do to take out the new boot smell. Find some mud, take a plastic bag or glove over your hand and scoop the mud up and coat your boots all over, including the bottoms. Keep the boots outside, but out of the rain. Everytime the mud comes off, recoat your boots. Before entering the woods, find some mud or moss and recoat your boots. I have had the same problem in the past and this is what I do and it works for me. I had two does walk right over my entrance route yesterday and didn't smell my boots. Also, by simply walking on a rough surface, you will strip off that plastic smell of your boots. I like to scrape the bottoms of my boots on the concrete outside my house for awhile when I first get them to get off that first layer of stink.

vashadowhunter
Old 11-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sprayed scent killer on my new boots deer have walked over my trail
and it didnt seem to bother them at all!

Old 11-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

That mud idea sounds good.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:05 PM

this may sound crazy but my neighbor is all about the deer not smelling him so he takes his boots and smears cow manure on them and leaves them outside. if that sounds too gross try the mud thing that sounds like it would work.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM

I had the same situation last week. New pair of lacross rubber boots and had washed them twice with the HS green soap and sprayed them down twice with HS scent away and could still smell the rubber. I left them outside for a couple of days and sprayed them down a few more times. Had to wear them last Sat. morning (down to low-mid 20's) sprayed them down again real good before I left the truck. I hadan 8pt. come in to about 15 yds., 2 does and a nice main frame 9pt. with 2 extra kickers (came in dead downwind). Oh yea, I usually sprinkle a little baking soda inside as well.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

The cow manure works great if you can stand the smell. I will find every fresh cow patty on the way to my stand I can step in. It is a natural smell that deer are used to to smelling. Give it a try.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Somerubber compoundsand glues used to make boots retain a little solvent even after finishing. Try putting them in a warm place for a few days to "off gas".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.