Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting?? >

Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

It's about two things here:

A: both partners should be honest UP FRONT about their interests and addictions whatever they may be. That includes hunting or any other interest if it rises to that level

B: Both partners should accept that when entering into a relationship and expecting someone to change is dooming that relationship from the start.

My wife isn't always pleased with the amount of time I spend in the woods but she accepts it as the part of me that it is.

Not everything my wife does or doesnt do pleases me either but I accept her for what sheis as well.

She's a keeper and so far she must think I am too
Old 11-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can sure see your point there Mikey. I think most of us was referring to our weeks and weeks we spend in the stand. Sound's like that gal just wanted full control of your life. It's just all about responibility. If you feel like you are taking advantage of the situation than you probably are. Seven days a year hunting is not taking advantage at all in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Life is way to short to dance for anyone...including my wife. If you spend your whole life trying to make someone else happy you wont get to do the things that make you happy. I know I'm selfish, I have come to grips with that fact, as soon as my wife does the samethings will be fine, if she doesn't......the sun will still come up tomorrow.

I dont think we should judge each other for having different priorities in life, don't tell me I'm wrong or"not aman" because my views are different than yours. I very much respect those of you that have adifferent outlook on life than me, and Iwish everyone the best of luck in whichever pathyou may choose.

On a similiar note has anyone every lost or left a job because of your hunting and fishing hobbies?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:50 PM

I'm really not sure how to respond to this one, but I'll try.

I have seen two of the many sideson this subject.

1. My first wife,asked me one day, "If I asked you to stop hunting for me, would you do it?"Like an idiot, I said yes. I was absolutely the most miserable person on the planet. So, for those of you that say you'd give up hunting or fishing or whatever you LOVE to do, for your girl, once you actually do it, you WILL change your mind. If you don't end up being as miserable as I was, then you really didn't love it. This is part of the reason she is now my ex-wife.

2. My current wife, would never ask me to stop hunting or fishing even if she hated it. She also knows what the answer would be if she did ask. I would literally laugh in her face. As I've stated, I've been there and I ain't goin again! Now, this doesn't mean that if there was some type of medical or other uncontrollable condition, where I needed to be by her side 24-7,that I wouldn't give it up. Absolutely I would, in a heartbeat. But, my wife likes to hunt and fish, so I don't have to worry. Most of the time she is with me on my hunting trips anyway. Now it's hard to find time with just me and my buddies.

3. I DO put my family first, and would never neglect my wife or my son. But I will NEVER EVER stop hunting and fishing or spending time outdoors, just because someone or anyonegives me an ultimatum. That is who I am and what I love to do. Without "my time" outdoors, I am not me. Also, without my wife and son, I am not me. So if something physically or suddenly happened to them, I may not be mentally able to hunt anymore. BUT, if she ever did ask me to stop, just because she would leave if I didn't give her every minute of my spare time, then I would know that she didn't love me as much as I thought. So, I would tell her good-bye and pick up my bow with a smile on my face.

Actually, I think that priorities have very little to do with it. Now, if you are neglecting your family, that is wrong, and you need to have a talk with yourself.

Love your family with all your heart, and show them, THEN go hunting as much as you can.

That's what I do and that's why I don't get to go hunting near as much as I'd like. I have not killed a deer in OVER 2 years!I ain't giving up, but I sure am gettin hungry.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many on here have lost there Wife or Girlfriend due to hunting?
I lost my wife last year due to hunting. But I found her later on in another stand.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:40 PM

I don't think anyone should have to give up any pastime for someone else. I've been on both ends of it... my husband is also a dove hunter, and when that time of the year comes around, he takes vacation time, goes 50 minutes north to camp with his cousin and two of their friends and I get pissed. Well, this year, I went with them solely for the camping aspect, my maintence guy (who is now one of my best friends) went camping with us, so I had something to do and someone to talk to when hubby was hunting. The last day we camped, my friend had gone home and it was just me and hubby, I went with him to the dove fields and watched him and our dog in action. I loved it and now I can't wait until next year so I can go. I think it comes down to not UNDERSTANDING the passion. I didn't understand the passion for dove hunting. At first, I didn't understand the passion for deer hunting either, but he got me into that and now I go more than my husband... NO JOKE!

HE is the one who sits at home with the kids (who aren't even biologically his) so I can hunt. I always give him the opportunity to go first though (since he hasn't gotten a deer this year and I have), but he always lets me go. I don't necessarily think that is fair, I think he should be going more often, but he is content (as far as I can tell) for me to go as well.

I am serious though, before I sat in the dove field, it was hell week around here. We argued 3 weeks before it and all through it and it was miserable! I never considered leaving him over it, but it was extremely frustrating and it was because of jealousy as someone mentioned earlier... if there is anyway to get your wife/girlfriend out in the woods or fields... do it, you just never know when they will take it up themselves.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

My wife would never kill a deer and she hates venison but still supports me 100% in my deer hunting. Of course I do realize that I could cross a line by neglecting her this time of the year so I try not to overdo it until the first couple weeks in November. She realizes that this is prime time for big bucks and I will have antlers on the brain.
Listen to what she did just this last week. I was lucky enough to kill a nice buck on Nov. 17th and after field dressing it I dragged it to the base of a long hill just before dark. I called her and asked if she would call her dad to help me and maybe she could come and shine a flashlight for us. So she did.Well,her dad is 59 and was struggling just to make it 15 yards before having to stop. Feeling bad for her dad she offered to try. He obliged, and she grabbed hold of one antler and I was amazed at howmuch help she was. Heck, I had to tell her to stop so I could rest. And I guess I should mention she only weighs 125 lbs. She even got blood on her jeans and didn't complain.
She is always excited when I have a successful hunt and seems to lift my spirits when something bad happens. I consider myself a lucky man.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

being in highschool...not marriage but ive started talking with girls and then hunting season comes around and it pretty much ruins it but
oh well
Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your only in HIGH SCHOOL once buddy... You better enjoy those women while you can, cuz once you graduate, they are gone, and you can't go back.. Hunting will be here when you graduate, but that %&%() won't. You'll be kicking yourself in the butt later in your years and saying, "Boy if I could go back to Highschool and Know what I know now!!" Enjoy Highschool, You only get to experience it ONCE!!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

trust me mathews boy theres time in the offseason

Quick Reply: Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.