Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Two bucks, One day >

Two bucks, One day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two bucks, One day

Old 11-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default Two bucks, One day

Saturday morning came and I was reluctant to get out of bed. I knew I would be sharing the woods w/ some hunters I had never met and it disturbed me to know that their were 2 other rifles in the woods. Saturday was opening morning of rifle season in Oklahoma. It would be my 12 yr old brother's first time in the woods w/ a weapon. His first chance to harvest a deer. This was our main goal of the day, to get Colt (my brother) his first deer. The morning was crisp and calm, deer were moving early and often. We were set up on a wheat field that was known for having good bucks come up and check for does. Colt was set up in a shooting tower w/ my father about 300 yards from my location. They were to cover the north and west and I was to cover the south and east. Does moved across early and feed in the field for about 30 min. A young spike came across at about 7:30a.m and Colt decided to pass on him. Even though it would be his first deer he was still wanted to manage our property the best we can. He has been thought well, on many outings before w/ my father and me. A few minutes later a 1 1/2 old 5 pt buck came out and worked his way to my father and brother. I radioed them and to them he was walking funny. He crossed in front of them at 15 yards and my father noticed he had a bad injury to his front right leg. They then decided to take him. I heard the shot and waited for the radio conformation, for I couldn't see the shot. It seemed like forever but after 20 sedconds my dad says deer down. I think I was more excited for my brother then he was. I just took my first deer last year and the excitement still ringed in my head. He had made a perfect double lung shot at 80 yards w/ his .223. I called all my friends to tell them the good news. The deer dressed out at 115 pounds. He had a six inchscar on his leg and an open wound around his knee, among futher inspection he had torn two ligaments in his knee.
My deer was completely different, we had returned to the shooting tower thatColt and my dad sat inearlierthat morning. My father was sitting in a stand on the north of our property. At 3:30 a small8 came through and then wondered off. At4:00 o'clock nine does came out to feed.A few minutes later to our north a doe was running straight at us. I looked behind her and saw a nice buck chasing her. Without any time I grabbed my .270 remington and let him have it. That 150 gr. bullet put him down. My best deer to date. I cheated by using my rifle, but now I can get back to the ole' bow. Deer was a perfect 8, he had 9 inch g2s and some decent mass. He dressed out at 135 pounds.

Can't upload pics. Help
Old 11-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Two bucks, One day

Sounds like a fun family day for sure. congradulations
Old 11-21-2005, 11:46 AM

If you need to send the pictures to me, i can get them on here for you. Just send them to my email. I will post them in this post.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Spike

Deer-Hunter whats your email address
Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Sounds like a great day to be out and a great family outing. Congrats to both you and your brother!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your success.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great hunt. Congratulations.