Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first Bow Buck. >

My first Bow Buck.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first Bow Buck.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Default My first Bow Buck.

(Note: I do not have a picture yet.)

I live in Maryland and on Friday and Saturday was our first real cold day this season.

Saturday morning it was in the upper 20's with very little wind and I got set up in my stand after spooking 2 deer on my way in with almost a full moon.

I did not see any activity until I heard that distinct sound of a stick breaking under a deer’s foot from my left. I stood up and got my bow from the holder. I saw the buck about 75 yards out heading away from my stand. He stops smells the ground and then does a 180 and starts down a trail that passes just 15 yards from my stand. I get excited and hope he continues down that trail. He stops again only 30 yards from my stand and smells the ground and I finally can determine he is a decent 8 pointer. My shooting lane is 15 more yards down that trail and I’m getting anxious and hoping he continue towards me. There is a large tree between him and me and I have decided that’s when I will draw my bow back. He get behind that tree, I draw back my bow and then he stops and looks up. I thought I was busted for sure. I freeze and he continues to walk. I move my bow slightly into position anticipating the shot. I have my top pin on my spot waiting for him to stop when he gets into my shooting lane. I have to aim a little high on him because he is only 15 yards out. I keep being told to aim for the exit hole. He finally gets into my shooting lane. Just as I’m about to grunt at him he stops and looks around. I squeeze my release and THUMP. He jumped up arching his back and kicked his back legs. He ran back up the trail he came from and about 30 yards later he slowed down to a walk. He went about 10 more yards and started to look around. I then noticed his rear start to wobble and then his head started to wobble. He bedded down clumsily and started to kick and wheeze. A few seconds later he made his last sound and movement. I could not see him because of some brush were he bedded down.

I sit back down and gather my thoughts. I give thanks for my good fortune and willingness to pass up smaller bucks this season after telling myself not to shoot at anything smaller than an 8 pointer.

I get down for my stand and find my blood-covered arrow. The blood is pinkish and did not see and air bubbles. I start to walk in the direction of were I saw him run. No blood. I finally found some blood 30 yards from impact. I look up and there he was. He was not huge about 16-18-inch spread. He field dressed at 170 lbs. I double lunged him, my entry was at the top part of the lung and the exit was dead center of the other lung. I’m having him mounted because he is my first buck with a bow. That way I will always remember my first bow buck on my wall next to my first gun buck.

Sorry it’s so long and thanks for letting me share on this awesome forum.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
swanny evans

Default RE: My first Bow Buck.

nice story get some pics if u can.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Spike

Great hunt, I like the story. Congrats
Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Congrats on the buck!!

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Ptrbilt
Old 11-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alright man, way to get it done. Were all proud for ya too.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Congratulations on a great hunt. Need pics please. 8pt. 16-18" wide, 170# field dressed, first bow buck... nothing else needed. Sounds great. Would have shot him down here in NC either bow or gun. Don't get alot better than that here. WAY TO GO!!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 AM

Congrats on the first bow buck! Good story. Hope you get some pics, sounds like a great deer to me.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like everything came together for you. Cool story and congrats on the buck.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 AM

Congrats MD! Where are you hunting at in Maryland? I hunt in Frederick County!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:22 AM

congrats,MDNewbie a job well done cant wait to see them pics

Quick Reply: My first Bow Buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.