Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My dad is getting a CROSSBOW... >

My dad is getting a CROSSBOW...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My dad is getting a CROSSBOW...

Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My dad is getting a CROSSBOW...

He has a shoulder problem..
I need to know where i can get some information on Crossbows.. I've looked at them.. But, was wondering if you guys or gals had any good info for me. He wants something he can shoot out to a good 40 yrds or more. Reliable, Good KE, Quality, something that will be a good bow.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 AM

Default RE: My dad is getting a CROSSBOW...

Check out the crossbow forum at www.kentuckyhunting.net
Old 11-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

He wants something he can shoot out to a good 40 yrds or more.

Hasn't been made!

I have no problem with crossbows but he still must make sound decisons on shot selection. If and I say If I was interested in a crossbow, I'd have tocheck out the TenPoint line.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Spike

Check out Excaliburs. I have a shoulder injury and shoot a Exocet 200 w/varizone scope pkg. Excellent service. I use a Crakeroo cocking device, I can cock it with 1 hand. You won,t be sorry.
www.excalibur.com THANKS
Old 11-21-2005, 09:01 AM

The Excaliburs are very nice crossbows. The less expensive route would be a Horton XL175 and the Ten Points are at the top of the money list.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

The Excaliburs are very nice compounds. The less expensive route would be a Horton XL175 and the Ten Points are at the top of the money list.
Excalibur makes only recurve crossbows , but they make about the finest ones there are to be had . If I were gonna buy another crossbow and had the cash then it would be an Excalibur . I'd choose Ten Point or Horton for a compound .

Crossbows are very iffy past 30-40 yards , tell your Dad to "set his sights" a little lower and stay within 40 yards or less . They're also rather noisy when they fire , so shorter range shots will reduce incidents of "jumping the string" .
Old 11-21-2005, 09:10 AM

kevin1, you are right. That was a brain fart on my part. [&:]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ten Point crossbows are about the best all-around in my opinion. I don't like Excalibur's because they are a lot bigger and harder to manuver in a treestand or ground blind (although they are excellent bows). Ten Point's tend to pretty expensive, though.

If you're looking for a good crossbow without shelling out big bucks, I'd recommend a Horton or Barnett. I've shot both and think both companies make good bows with some pluses and minuses:

Horton:

Pros-Very durable, tough, can withstand some punishment. Strings last a long time if you properly maintain them. Very accurate and reliable. Easy to find accessories and add-ons.

Cons- most models are very loud and have moderate to high recoil. Their arrow speed isn't the best unless you get a model with a 175lb. or higher draw weight.

Barnett:

Pros- FAST!!!! Barnett bows are hands down faster than pretty much all the competitors. Don't seem to be as loud as Hortons (in my experience). Decent accuracy. Very reasonable prices.

Cons- Not as durable as Horton. String tends to wear out and needs replacement often, even if you maintain them. Not as common as Hortons- can be harder to find accessories, arrows, etc.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 AM

If I recall correctly, didn't Barnett crossbows use a longer bolt? You had to buy their bolts so they charged a little bit more for them. I do not know if this has changed.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:45 AM

Parker makes a good crossbow. I've tested mine out on five deer so far with good results. I think the distance/accuracy they shoot is about the same as a compound. They shoot flater with a 20 inch arrow, though.