Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I use this Bow?? >

Should I use this Bow??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I use this Bow??

Old 11-20-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Should I use this Bow??

I have this bow that I got as a Christmas Gift about 8 years ago. I used it once when I first got it to practice with it and I got frustrated with it and put it away and havent used it since. Now I want to get into bowhunting but I do not want to spend the money on a new bow if I do not have to, since I am just starting out. The bow is a Bear Black Bear Model. It has nothing on it, no stabilizer no nothing. I need to know what I kind of accesories I should buy for it, arrows,stabilizers,sights, etc. Remember I am a beginner. Here are the specifications of the setup of the bow: Draw length is 30, draw weight set at 65, and string length is 36. Here are some pics of the bow below let me know if you think it is stil good to use for my first year or so. Thanks. Matt

Old 11-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I use this Bow??

Nothing wrong with the bow at all.Get the string and cables checked over by a pro shop and you should be good to go.

I used it once when I first got it to practice with it and I got frustrated with it and put it away and havent used it since.
Well the first thing you should do is have the shop check your draw length.30 inch draw may be way to long for you to aquire a proper anchor.65# weight may be to heavy as well for a new archer.The shop will set the bow up properly for you and teach you some of the more important basics on shooting properly.
As far as equipment is conserned,I see it already has a site on it.Get a good rest.NAP makes rests that are good and affordable.If you want to spend a bit more money then go with a drop away but it really isnt necessary.
Stabilizers arent the most important thing yet they help.Cobra makes some models and are also affordable.
Any arrow with the proper spine is good for a beginner.Alluminum or carbon.Again the shop will help you on this one.
Dont buy to cheap though because when you are ADDICTED and really want to upgrade then you can keep the good accesories and transfer them to your new bow,or maybe have a higher re-sail value if you decided to start from scratch.
Good luck and keep us all posted.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:05 PM

I agree with the above, make sure it fits you for draw length and that you are trying to draw too much weight. After that practice and tune it. Will it be as quiet and as fast as a new bow for more money, probably not. Will it kill deer? Heck yes it will if you learn to shoot it well.

Paul
Old 11-20-2005, 07:22 PM

my dad has the same one... they are a bit noisy but theu shoot pretty good. i would use it .. get it looked over first.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I have a couple of other questions. Do I need that peice in the back of the bow that looks like a stabilizer by the strings? Do i need limb savers? Do I need Whisker Biscuits? What is a good size and weight for a stabilizer? Also here is a couple of pics of some equipment I was looking into at cabelas and bass pro shops. Please let me know your feedback on these......Thanks Matt

Old 11-20-2005, 08:29 PM

one more pic.....

Old 11-20-2005, 08:33 PM

Before adding any gadgets- practice, practice , practice... then start tweaking.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Old 11-20-2005, 09:40 PM

The thing in the back is cable gaurd, and yes you will need one. Why doesn't it have one to begin with? It will keep the cables off the side so your arrows don't hit it when they come out. You will also need a cable slide. Well you don't NEED one, but it would be nice and quieter.

If you are shooting a release that rest will work, a bit of a pain to adjust, but it will work. The quicktune 3000 is easier to adjust since all the adjustment are seperate and independant from each other. If you are shooting fingers a different type of rest made for that would work better. Something with side pressure.

I highly suggest limb savers.

Paul
Old 11-21-2005, 06:27 AM

I wiuld recommend a whisker bisquit.JMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.