Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 late season hunting >

late season hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

late season hunting

Old 11-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default late season hunting

The post-rifle bow season is about to begin in MO and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a new bowhunter. I specifically would like to know:

a) how long should I wait after the end of rifle season before I go out again

b) how does stand placement differ between prime (rut) and the late season

Thanks

Old 11-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: late season hunting

Any time is a good time, as far as stand placement, I'd opt for some thick stuff as it will be easier to conceal yourself, and lso after being hunted for so long the deer have learned they are targets when out in the open. If you have swampland than that's the place to be.The thick stuff also offers more protection of the elementsin winter.(for the deer).
Old 11-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep the thick stuff is the place to be. But anywhere in the woods at the right time is a good place to be. Heck as long as yer out there something is bound to show up sooner or later. And at least yer out there trying.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:37 AM

a) First or any day available. Don't see any need to wait unless you have to. Season is gone till next yr. before you know it.
b) Things get tough around here after Nov. Get a little deeper and closer to the bedding areas and thickets. Deer around here are pressured very hard and by now anything decent will not come out into openings until well after dark. Probably applies to your area as well. We just have alot of dog runners. Good luck
Old 11-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go and get in the woods as soon as possible.Especially if your area wasnt pressured much by the rifle hunters.Now is the time,because the rifle hunters have pushed the deer all over,and any buck could be in your area for a hot doe.Rattle and grunt also.Try using some doe pee or dominant buck scent and good luck.

All depends on where your stands were placed in the first place.If they were on a funnel,or ridge,and the deer pass by from food sources then you are fine.Remember as the weather gets colder and the rut slows down the deer will be back on a heavy feeding frenzy again.They need to rebuild there fat reserve for the upcoming colder weather,especially the bucks from all the mating and fighting.
Like the others have said above,get in the thick stuff.Deer will bed down in the thickest,nastiest stuff they can find to get out of the snow and cold north winds.Try to find a thicket bordering a food source.This is where you want to hang a stand also.Especially if it goes from open,hardwoods type to heavy swamp area.The deer will use this area as there staging area just before dark and enter the field when they are more comfortable.Remember they were pressured for quite some time now by archery and rifle hunters.
Good luck on your cold weather endeavers.Its my favorite time of year to be out,especially with a little snow on the ground.And remember to dress warm

Old 11-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: extreme1

Go and get in the woods as soon as possible.Especially if your area wasnt pressured much by the rifle hunters.Now is the time,because the rifle hunters have pushed the deer all over,and any buck could be in your area for a hot doe.Rattle and grunt also.Try using some doe pee or dominant buck scent and good luck.

All depends on where your stands were placed in the first place.If they were on a funnel,or ridge,and the deer pass by from food sources then you are fine.Remember as the weather gets colder and the rut slows down the deer will be back on a heavy feeding frenzy again.They need to rebuild there fat reserve for the upcoming colder weather,especially the bucks from all the mating and fighting.
Like the others have said above,get in the thick stuff.Deer will bed down in the thickest,nastiest stuff they can find to get out of the snow and cold north winds.Try to find a thicket bordering a food source.This is where you want to hang a stand also.Especially if it goes from open,hardwoods type to heavy swamp area.The deer will use this area as there staging area just before dark and enter the field when they are more comfortable.Remember they were pressured for quite some time now by archery and rifle hunters.
Good luck on your cold weather endeavers.Its my favorite time of year to be out,especially with a little snow on the ground.And remember to dress warm

Couldn't put it any better myself.......my thoughts exactly!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all of your advice guys, I think I've got the perfect place picked out (thick woods near a suspected doe bedding area adjacent to a picked soybean field).

Does anyone have any thoughts on late-season camo? I've read that you should get a more open pattern with a lighter background and dark brown or black spotted foreground. What do you think?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Naked North by Moutain Prarieit blends in ausome with the late season colors. I sit in alot of poples and white aoks