Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some WISDOM >

Need some WISDOM

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some WISDOM

Old 11-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Spike

Default Need some WISDOM

I have been hunting w/ my bow for 2 years now. I have great places to hunt, hardly ever go without seeing deer. I missed a buck last yr. that was the only shot I took all season. Got him w/ a rifle. This year I decided that I would take a doe early and then go hard after a buck. I missed a doe twice in a 2 minute period the first weekend out. 2 weeks ago I had a nice buck within range and made a bad shot, hit him but high up in the backstrap (little penetration). I am confident out to 40 yrds but, refuse to take a shot past 25 on a deer. I need help calming the nerves, and I have a problem aiming through my peep at deer. I just can't seem to get a good fix on where i'm aiming and then I have to look w/ my other eye and that throws me off. ANY ADVICE
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 AM

Default RE: Need some WISDOM

I would practice a little more at aquiring my target with the peep or get rid of the peep if it just is'nt working.Cocentrate more on the shot and not the deer.I have taken a few deer with the bow and I am always a little nervous when it's time for the shot.This year I had a spike buck within 10 yrds of my stand and when it came time to draw my form was out the window it took me three attemps to finally get my bow drawn and the shot off.You can get a larger peep sight also.Hope this helps and good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 AM

Practice with your broadheads
From an elevated stand,if you hunt from a treestand
Shoot at a 3D deer target
Wear all your hunting gear while you practice
Run around,climb up to your platform and shoot,this will get your heart beating like it is on the real thing

Just some thoughts

Yep, your neighbors will think you are crazy,running around the yard in hunting clothes and then climbing up a stand and shooting!

Trust me, it works

Last year I went 0 and 7 on deer even though I could hit the target while just shooting.
I made an effort to practice all summer and did some strange things.
It must have worked, I am 2 for 2 this year so far!

Don't give up!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 AM

I have been known to peek around my peep with my other eye from time to time which can screw up a shot. I found the No-Peep fixed that, I can shoot with both eyes open and keep my anchor point throughout the shot process. Other than that practice practice practice, and experience. I have been bow hunting for 15 years and my early years were filled with all kinds of blunders, the more encounters you have with deerthe better you will become at focusing and calming down to make a good shot.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a PEEP, but leave both eyes open.. My peep is just another reference point. I draw back and its just automatic.. You need to PRACTICE. Draw leaving both eyes open and see if that helps.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:28 AM

I had the same problem as you and found that a larger peep was the answer. Try to find a 2X2 magnum. It has a 5/16 hole in it and works great. You just center your sight guard in it and you can see everything. Even with 1 eye closed. I tried no peep but the string kept gettin in the way. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:14 AM

Ive been practicing all year with using both eyes through my peep. I draw back and peek with one eye through the peep, then open up the other to get my bearings. seems to help me some.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Okie - Here's how I learn to control my nervousness - I practice a fair amount - maybe once/week over the summer. When you're practicing, you are generally relaxed, which is not an accurate replication of the hunting scenario. You need to do something to make yourself nervous.

I stand on a 5-gallonbucket. Stupid, I know, but when you're standing on that bucket, you're worried about wobbling around, you're worried about tipping over, and your heart starts to race. If that doesn't quite do it, just add some elements of difficulty (angle the target, shoot under a limb, make yourself a narrow shooting lane, etc.). It's not exactly the same type of nervousness that you'll experience in your treestand with that buck approaching, but it helped me.

Just give it a try, and see if it helps.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as peep sights go, I'd agree with Twirpy. Invest 5 bucks in a Shurz-a-Peep 2X2 Mag. Unless money is no object, I'd definitely say to try that before spending $35 on a No-Peep.

A third option is the one I keep trying to talk people into. Get rid of the sights altogether and learn to shoot barebow. Right now you're winding upnot able touse your sights correctlyand shooting barebow anyway. But, not having practiced shooting without sights, you don't stand much of a chance of hitting where you want.

With a barebow compound,hitting asaucer sized target at 25 yards is no big trick with a little consistent practice. Get a copy of Byron Ferguson's book, "Become the Arrow." He's a longbow shooter, but that doesn't matter. The aiming technique he teaches works even better with a compound. While longbow/recurve shooters have to go through the aiming process quickly due to holding the full draw weight of the bow, a compound's letoff really lets youtake your time and lazer in your concentration on the target.

All it takes is the courage to throw away the crutches and develop your natural abilities.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I would do what others have already said, practice with you hunting clothes on from an elevated stand with broadheads and learn to get on your target fast. Shot opportunities could have a window of a few seconds and being able to get on your target is a must. You have two options, either get rid of the peep and use something like a no peep to help you remain consistent in your anchor or go to a larger peep size. I use a fletcher tru-peep super hunter 3/16 and it works great. As far as calming your nerves here is what I do. When I am practicing, I close my eyes and try to create a hunting situation in my mind. I imagine a big one coming in, I actually can cause my heart to start racing, my breathing picks up, and then I tell myself that this is your one chance. Then I make the best shot I possibly can. By doing this, I have learned to make shots under pressure and with the feelings of an actual hunt. By the way, that heart pounding feeling is whatI dream of all year long, and I don't ever want to lose that. But, I want to be able to make the shot under these conditions if the chance comes along. I know my little routine sounds a bit corny, but trust me, it works. Good luck this season.

Quick Reply: Need some WISDOM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.