Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good hit, no recovery >

Good hit, no recovery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good hit, no recovery

Old 11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good hit, no recovery

I did the same thing two years ago, one lung hit and the deer bled steady for 100 yards. It was warm early season, so I headed out after it and jumped it. A mistake I've not made since. Adrenaline will carry a deer a long way.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

[ I myself (especially on deer I plan to cape) bring the lungs and heart out together by reaching in and grabbing a hold of the larynx and pulling them out in tact.
Exactly what I was getting at in a previous post. This is when you learn what happened, and why. Taking that extra few minutes to set the lungs and heart on the ground, searching for your broadhead holes, and figururing out the whole story goes a long way the next time you poke one with an arrow.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

But, I can assure you that you aren't the only hunter intelligent to distinguish between a deers vtial organs and then determine whether or not a broadhead went through them or didn't.
Of course I'm not. It's a pretty simple task but you know as well as I do, there are plenty of guys out there that either can't or won't take the time to figure it out. It happens all the time, guys get bad hits and then turn sommer saults trying to justify that they didn't do anything wrong. I've seen deer gut shot that were alive 6 or 7 hours later and the hunter give the old 1 lung bit. I'm sorry but I'm just a little tired of all the excuses. Nothing against you or anybody here. I guess I'm just venting a bit.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but in a sad sort of way. At first you grin or laugh, then you realize how much you really have learned, not because you're "smart" and they are "dumb", that doesn't mean a thing; but mostly because you took the time to actually learn or observe something, banked that experience in your head, and used it, while some people just trample through the woods, completely unaware of what the hel is going on around them, and take no action to figure it out.

My brother is an example of this. I love him to death, even though he only hunts2 or 3days year..[8D] But every year, the first day of gun season, he shoots a deer with his .270, it runs away, and he radios me and tells me he can't find it. I walk for a half hour to get to his spot, and spend 2 minutes tracking a deer that ran 50 yards over the hill. EVERY STINKING YEAR. Then I have to help him dress it. I can't figure out who has the flat learning curve in their brain, him for not learning anything, or me for doing all his work...[:@]
Mickey, You have no idea how well I can relate!!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:06 AM

you should have probably waited a good 4-6 hours and then checked on it.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:00 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan has made some good points, I think all hunters would benefit from a good anatomylesson. Another point is that topographical anatomy (where things are located in a standing deer in relation to external landmarks)is much different than a dead deer laying on its back being field dressed. Every hunter should look at theorgans andwhere they hit them, then look in the cavity of the deer andsee where the holes are and relate this back to where theentry and exit wounds are. A fewminutes with a dead deer can teach you a lot.I think the most common mistake is that the actual chest cavity ona deer is much lower than most think. Just about every shot I see on the hunting shows are borderline too high andI would guess a good number of regular bowhunters shoot high. Hence all of the I hit just above where I was aiming and the arrow only penetrated a few inches and I never found him threads. I'm in hisSylvan's campin that a good hit will put a deer down in a hurry and should never be lost.