Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good hit, no recovery >

Good hit, no recovery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good hit, no recovery

Old 11-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good hit, no recovery

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I have actually shot a few that didn't run off after the shot. I shot one a couple of years back and hit him irhgt behind the shoulders with a perfect double lung shot. He took a couple of steps and then looked back to see what "stung" him and I could see where I had hit him so I just hung my bow up. The deer stood there for a minute or so looking and then turned to walk off. As he turned to walk off I could see that he was bleeding a stream the literally looked like someone running a water hose. That deer walked about 10 yards and laid down. He layed there with his head up for about 10 minutes before expiring and that was one of if not the best shots that I have ever made on a deer.

Also, in hunting camp last week I saw pictures of a deer that had been killed that had been shot the day before in the shoulder and the arrow just hit the shoulder blade or bone and turned and went down his leg. Well the next day the guys buddy shot the deer while he was chasing does. He made a double lung shot (which I saw pictures of and talked to the landowners son who confirmed this when gutting). The guys watied 30 mintues or so and started tracking and jumped the deer and the deer wound up making it several hundred yards and living for another hour or so where the landowners son and the 2 guys found him dead. Now I wasn't there, I only say the pics but the landowners son is a pretty quiet and straight up guy and I have never had any reason to question anything that he has told me but I have to admit that I was a little skeptical until 2 days later when my deer pulled a similar feat after taking and arrow through both lungs.

PS - I have seen deer go a long long long long..........ways on a one lung shot and I tend to believe that some of them survive them as well.
SilentAssasin - you got me! I should of rephrasedmy statement and added "personally" in there. I too have witnessed this strange happening, not in front of me, but on a video kill that a good friend had a few years ago. Same exact circumstance, the buck just walked around for almost 7 minutes of video before laying down like dog in it's bed to expire.......pumping blood out of it's lungs the entire time. My buddies and I talked about this occurance for quite some time, and came up with a couple "parallels" in the stories: it has only happened with bucks,(age, size didn't matter) and it has only happened near rut time, when the bucks are in a different state of mind.

Your back of the lungs shot last week, I believe is a common occurance to a lot of guys. The deer gets jumped, and is lost. For a lung shot deer to expire, the lungs literally have to fill up with blood, and with a higher, further back hit, that takes a lot longer. I too believe that a single lung shot deer will live, especially with a higher hit,towards the top of the lung. But for example, if you shoot straight down at a deer, and poke a hole right through the center of one lung, that deer is dead, and you'll find if you try hard enough.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found the deer the nexy morning and the "autopsy" confirmed that I caught the back of both lungs.
O.K. then only catching the back of both lungs is not a great hit then is it? You could have done better right?

I maintain that an arrow placed properly in the boiler room will cause the deer to expire in seconds. I have shot a lot of whitetails through both lungs and NONE of them have gone more than 80 to 100 yards and were dead in less than 30 seconds. I simply don't believe hunters when they tell me they double lunged a deer and then jumped the deer an hour later. Sorry. I'm not saying they aren't telling what they believe is the truth. I just think they are mistaken. I've seen guys who wouldn't even know what the lungs look like.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me tell you why I am often skeptical of the forensic ability of some hunters. A cousin of mine told me a story of a buck he had shot through the heart with a 12 gauge slug. He told me he tracked the deer for several hundred yards and jumped him several times before finally finding him dead. He told me the slug had "puverized" the heart turning it into "jelly".I was of course skeptical and found it a mystery how a deer could go so far with a smashed heart. Years later I killed a buck with my 12 gauge and after hearing the shot my cousin came over to my stand. As I was gutting the deer he exclaimed "look at that" you smashed the heart into jelly". He was refering to the thick coagulated blood that often comes out of the chest cavity in a Jelly like consistence. Mystery solved.

I also think a lot of guys "assume" they got lung(s) because of where the arrow entered the deer and not from an examination of the lungs themselvs. Also, there are a lot of guys who simply "rip" out the lungs in pieces thereby destroyingany chance of a good observation of thearrow path.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, I know you're notblaming anyone. I guess I just want to strike a balance- that all of us would strive to be the best hunters we can, do our job to make sure that we place our arrows in the right place, but also to recognize that sometimes it LOOKS or SEEMS like we did everything right, but somehow still end up losing the animal. When it happens, I don't think we should beat ourselves up over it- that is, if we place our arrow where we are aiming, (are aiming in the right spot) and still lose the deer.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Let me tell you why I am often skeptical of the forensic ability of some hunters. A cousin of mine told me a story of a buck he had shot through the heart with a 12 gauge slug. He told me he tracked the deer for several hundred yards and jumped him several times before finally finding him dead. He told me the slug had "puverized" the heart turning it into "jelly".I was of course skeptical and found it a mystery how a deer could go so far with a smashed heart. Years later I killed a buck with my 12 gauge and after hearing the shot my cousin came over to my stand. As I was gutting the deer he exclaimed "look at that" you smashed the heart into jelly". He was refering to the thick coagulated blood that often comes out of the chest cavity in a Jelly like consistence. Mystery solved.
I'm with you on both of your latest posts, and also the one concerning responsbility. I toowonder aboutthe forensics of some hunters. A good friend of mine butchers deer during thefirearms seasonsonly, and the first day of PA gun season is my favorite day to pay him a visit, whether I have a deer or not. Some of the "field dressing" jobs are down right pathetic. Every year, the same "long time" hunter rolls in with a deer that he blew the heart out of at 400 yards. And every year when he leaves, my buddy and I roll the carcass over, pull the hide apart at the stomach, only to see the diaphragm, heart and lungs.........still inside the deer. The bullet holes are usually scattered through the hind quarters, high shoulders/spine and stomach/intestines. He has 2 or 3 regular hunters that bring deer like this every year. Examining a pile of entrails and organs teaches you a ton about dropping a deer with an arrow, some people don't do it enough.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think we should beat ourselves up over it- that is, if we place our arrow where we are aiming, (are aiming in the right spot) and still lose the deer.
I don't think we should beat ourselves either but I think a lot of times we are too proud to simply admit that we didn't do it right and we make excuses. I hear it alot and I'm frankly growing a little tired of it. To me, if the animal doesn't die right away, at least to some degree we screwed up. I don't buy the attitude that "I did everything right, got a perfect hit but..."
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you on both of your latest posts, and also the one concerning responsbility. I toowonder aboutthe forensics of some hunters. A good friend of mine butchers deer during thefirearms seasonsonly, and the first day of PA gun season is my favorite day to pay him a visit, whether I have a deer or not. Some of the "field dressing" jobs are down right pathetic. Every year, the same "long time" hunter rolls in with a deer that he blew the heart out of at 400 yards. And every year when he leaves, my buddy and I roll the carcass over, pull the hide apart at the stomach, only to see the diaphragm, heart and lungs.........still inside the deer. The bullet holes are usually scattered through the hind quarters, high shoulders/spine and stomach/intestines. He has 2 or 3 regular hunters that bring deer like this every year. Examining a pile of entrails and organs teaches you a ton about dropping a deer with an arrow, some people don't do it enough.
Amazing isn't it?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pa Trophy Man

You pushed it...
Who me?? I didnt push it, he was down for over an hour before i started tracking mine
Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Amazing isn't it?
Yes, but in a sad sort of way. At first you grin or laugh, then you realize how much you really have learned, not because you're "smart" and they are "dumb", that doesn't mean a thing; but mostly because you took the time to actually learn or observe something, banked that experience in your head, and used it, while some people just trample through the woods, completely unaware of what the hel is going on around them, and take no action to figure it out.

My brother is an example of this. I love him to death, even though he only hunts2 or 3days year..[8D] But every year, the first day of gun season, he shoots a deer with his .270, it runs away, and he radios me and tells me he can't find it. I walk for a half hour to get to his spot, and spend 2 minutes tracking a deer that ran 50 yards over the hill. EVERY STINKING YEAR. Then I have to help him dress it. I can't figure out who has the flat learning curve in their brain, him for not learning anything, or me for doing all his work...[:@]
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddies and I talked about this occurance for quite some time, and came up with a couple "parallels" in the stories: it has only happened with bucks,(age, size didn't matter) and it has only happened near rut time, when the bucks are in a different state of mind.
I would tend to agree with that.
Let me tell you why I am often skeptical of the forensic ability of some hunters. A cousin of mine told me a story of a buck he had shot through the heart with a 12 gauge slug.
Now as far as the forensic abilities of some hunters I would assume they vary like any other abilities of hunters. Some are good and others aren't as good. But, I can assure you that you aren't the only hunter intelligent to distinguish between a deers vtial organs and then determine whether or not a broadhead went through them or didn't. I myself (especially on deer I plan to cape) bring the lungs and heart out together by reaching in and grabbing a hold of the larynx and pulling them out in tact.

Quick Reply: Good hit, no recovery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.