Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Using Bow during Gun Season? >

Using Bow during Gun Season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using Bow during Gun Season?

Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using Bow during Gun Season?

I've done it on private property, but I don't think I would do it on state land in lower MI because of all other people hunting. You need the proper license and have to wear the proper amount of hunters orange. We used to have seperate licenses for gun and bow and you still needed a gun license if you wanted to use your bow during gun season. Our license's now are good for gun and bow if you buy a combo (regular and restricted tag). The regular tag lets you shoot a doe or any buck during archery or a deer during rifle with atleast a 3 inch antler and the restricted tag has to be used on a deer with atleast 4 antler pts on one side gun or bow and I think you can use it on a doe during archery only.
Chris
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's legal in MD as long as you follow all the gun laws--blaze orange, etc. I've used my bow for the last 3 or 4 seasons and have taken deer every year during gun seasons using my bow.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 PM

I have never done it before but am going to try it on the gun opener this year in MD. I hunt a large pice of public land that is bordered by a small piece of archery only public land. The 2 areas are seperated by a small river. I figure everyone on the gun side will have deer running to the bow only area and it may be a good opportunity to tag a nice buck.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM

In my state(Iowa) bowhunting closes for the shotgun seasons. I pretty sure it's a safety factor.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

This yearin georgia I am hunting exclusively with my bow. I am trying to fill my entire tag (2 Bucks, 10 Does) using my bow. Currently 2 Bucks, 6 Does, and 2 hogs.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:44 PM

Yep we have Archery only areas, bordering gun hunting land. So i spend all my time bow hunting, Not picking on gun hunters, but the majority of them around here aren't nearly as good of hunters as the hardcore bowhunters. And what i mean by that is, they tend to wear just whatever, walkin with there work boots, dont go thru the hole "scent free" thing. So they scare alot of deer right over into the bow hunting only land... w00t!! lol
Old 11-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

As per DaveH,MD allows you to use yourbow through the both the firearmand muzzleloader seasons- itis most satisfying to check a deer in taken with a bow during the gun season. I haven't hunted for deer with a gun now for 28 years. "It doesn't count if you use a gun" is what I tell my muzzleloading totingfriends when they proclaim their prowness...
-fsh
Old 11-16-2005, 06:44 PM

I've done it the last 2 years. Our archery season goes non-stop from mid Sept to the end of Dec. But I only hunt private property during the firearms season, I know everyone who's out there. If I could only hunt public land I would stay home, the public land near where we hunt sounds like WWIII.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Sure wish it was legal here in Illinois, I've missed 3 booners with a gun that I know I could of shot with a bow(I'm a terrible shot withshotgun and slugs). I now have a muzzleloader and am pretty accurate with it
Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Spike

I normally hunt w/ my bow all season long, but this year 2 things have changed. My younger brother who is 12 will be hunting for the first time w/ his own rifle, so I will have mine w/ me to back him up. He can't pull the min draw wieght of 40 pounds so he'll have a rifle. And I have a buck that i've been seeing in my food plot late in the evenings that should be 140" or better (bad at judging). He is just to far away and I have never seen him any closer. If I don't get him, somebody will.

Quick Reply: Using Bow during Gun Season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.