Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Drawing on a deer.......... >

Drawing on a deer..........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drawing on a deer..........

Old 10-08-2002, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Drawing on a deer..........

Need some help from some of you experienced bowhunters. This is my 1st year and I'm getting frustrated! I've had deer all over me since the season started but just cant seem to get a shot. I had a doe bust me tonight BAD! The question I have is what do you look for in the deer when you need to stand and draw? Head behind a tree, looking down, facing away from you? Every time I see deer there are 2 or 3 of them and that is alot of eyes watching you.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Drawing on a deer..........

I practise shooting from a sitting postion and will do so unless I have to stand to get a shot off, but it's very tough to do so if you've got more than one pair of eyes to watch. Another thing to consider is the noise your stand makes when you move.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

ideally you stand and draw when the dear's eyes are hidden behind som ekind of cover. you don't always need to have the deer hidden to draw though. the doe i killed saturday was with two other deer and all three were standing in the wide open in front of me 17 yds away. I came ot full draw and none of them knew i was there.
sometimes you just have to take a chance if you don't get the opportunity to stand/draw when the deer is behind cover.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to bow hunting, just look at there eyes, if you can see them
they can see you. As hard as it is, you have to wait until they
are not looking your way, even if that means letting the deer go. Remember once a deer has spotted where you are they are like a elephant, they never forget.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

It was a doe with 2 youngins. She looked down to eat on some corn I had layed out and as I turned my bow to get it ready she busted me. Started stomping on ground and when my arm finally gave out from holding my bow with one arm for about 3 min. trying to be still, I got the snort and 3 white flags! Got to be more patient. Earlier in year I think I was to patient. Experience, got to learn by your mistakes.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll learn through experience. Learn to shoot sitting. For 8 or 9 years, hunted standing up in my stand 100% of the time, you're always ready. Go higher with your stand, 17'-22'. Don't hunt in the same stand, keep moving it. Lastly, I've known guys who put stands in areas with no cover around, they're just in the open. I've known guys who hunt in such thick cover they might only have one or two 1' shooting lanes and can't even see the deer until its in that exact spot. Both of these situations are bad. You need a mix. If you have enough natural cover and are high enough, you can move around in the stand a fair amount.

Good Luck!

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 10-09-2002, 02:48 AM

Welcome to bowhunting. It is the difficulty that makes it so great. Getting a deer gets easier with time but only because you made mistakes and learned from them. When you finally get that deer ... the success is so sweet.

Getting close to the game is what it's all about. Enjoy every day you spend in the woods.

Old 10-09-2002, 04:12 AM

Wwoodrow88,

You have to be ready when the deer reaches the point were you will have a shot. I have seen many hunters wait untill the deer are right on top of them to standup or reach for thier bow. Just this movement however slight can alert the deer. If you hunt a heavily hunted parcel the deer are more alert and do often look up when they hear you. I suggest that you need to be twice or three times more alert than the deer or they will bust you every time. When you set your stand make sure that it's high enough but not so high that you are skylined, put padding on the platform, and make sure your clothing and bow are dead silent when you draw. Hope this helps. Good luck and hunt safe.

Misplaced Buckeye
Old 10-09-2002, 06:28 AM

Go higher...higher....higher....higher...getting the point?
Old 10-09-2002, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

My 2 cents - I always stand at the slightest movement or sounds. I get my release on at get the bow at about half position (not drawn). I practice standing, so I would rather be standing when shooting than sitting. I definitely recommend fixing in and concentrating on the deer that you want to shoot then the other deer coming in with it. They are more of a distraction then any thing else. If you get busted by them so be it. Wait till the deer that you want to shoot gets an ubstuction between it or you before drawing. But, if this does not happen, don't be afraid to pull back if it is the open. Just make sure it is not looking directly at you. If you have a compound you can draw much earlier then you can with a recurve/longbow. With my recurve, I really can't draw until I have an open shot. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Drawing on a deer..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.