Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leaving your Treestand UP! >

Leaving your Treestand UP!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaving your Treestand UP!

Old 11-15-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Leaving your Treestand UP!

[:@] Ok I have a gripe and need to know if I am right or wrong in my fellow bowhunters opinion!

Just got back from a 5 day hunt with my dad. We were on hot central IL PUBLIC LAND, run by the DNR. The problem is that every field edge, every Draw, every bottleneck, every swamp <ya see where I am going> had a freakin Treestand in it. My "nobody will find this spot" has a treestand in "my" tree. I carried 50+ lbs on my back 1/2 the hunt because every new spot I tried had a stand in it. Of course ALL of these stands were empty, which led me to believe that these were SHOTGUNNER's or in-frequent Bowhunters setting up, and leaving them there. Dont get me wrong, i hunt with both Shotgun and Bow and if a guy beats me to a spot, thats his spot! But for hunters to go out on public land and just set up a ton of stands and LEAVE them PI$#%es me OFF! Do I have a right to be this way?

let me know,
Squeegee

Old 11-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leaving your Treestand UP!

Just set up your stand and hunt. If they are empty I don't see the problem.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Wisconsin it is against the law to leave a stand in the woods on public land. That law is supposed to prevent hunters from claiming squaters rights. After all it is public land and open to all to use. If you are running into so many stands on public land and no one is using them, hell climb aboard and hunt. [8D]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:28 AM

The Problem is ... I dont know if this Hunter will be there in the moring or evening or just show up. The Hunter did after all have there stand up there FIRST place and for me to set up near it may screw up a hunt for both of us. My problem is if you put a stand up on public land HUNT it, if not REMOVE it! I thought thats why they thats why they call it PUBLIC land.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: squeegee

My problem is if you put a stand up on public land HUNT it, if not REMOVE it! I thought thats why they thats why they call it PUBLIC land.
I could not agree with you more. The public land around here gets hammered hard during the 9 day gun deer season. Problem is the squaters put their stands up 2 - 3 weeks before the season and get pissed when a bow hunters gets within 100 yards of THEIR stand on PUBLIC LAND. Go figure!!!!!! [>:]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Is it legal to leave your stand like that in Ill.?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM

In MN it isnt legal to leave treestands up like that on public land. I know of times the DNR has went and taken the stands and if anybody calls to place a complaint that their stand was stolen they get a ticket for leaving it up.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt a state park here in Pa and it's not legal to leave stands in the woods when not in use. The park people take standsout if spotted and the owners have to come and retrieve them. I'm not sure what the fine is.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 PM

They way I see it is that now that the treestand is abandoned. Its on public property, therefore it is public property. Get up in it and if the hunter strolls along and wants to argue over it, give the warden a call. Not that I would ever do it but if you wanted a new treestand, and if its illegal to leave the stand up on public property, I guess its the new walmart.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:46 PM

It's legal in missouri you have to tag it with your name and address. If they can do it so can you so claim it and lock it. It's done here all the time and most people don't even think about it. They just find a diffrent spot. That's why we find private land in the public land here theres 25 hunters per acre. Rifle season looks like a gold fish bowl full of fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.