Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rattle Bag Or Horns >

Rattle Bag Or Horns

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bag
44.00%
Horns
50.00%
Other
6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Rattle Bag Or Horns

Old 11-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattle Bag Or Horns

I like working the antlers better, I have a small moose antler and an4 point antler I work together. But they take up so much of my bag's space and are so heavy I started trying to use the bag last year. So I voted bag. Haven't had much success with either in this area. Mostly only does responding.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Sweet
Old 11-15-2005, 05:45 PM

Man this doesn't help at all...when I saw this thread I thought to my self, yes! Finally a straight answer ......in the three years that I have bowhunted I have never rattled.... I do want to start this year...I was thinking about cutting up a set of sheds and putting them in a bag and see what that sounds like . The rut in Houston County, GA is just about to kick off and I guess it's the perfect time to give them a try.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 PM

I have never seen a buck deer with dowel rods on his head. And until I do....I will use horns.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:04 PM

Well, I've used a bag for the last 10 years. It's about a foot long...seems like the ones I've seen in stores are shorter nowadays. Anyway, I've killed some decent bucks over the years, and I've always given SOME credit to the rattling I've done, though I've never had a buck come charging in hot. But this thread got me thinking when I first read it the other night, so I took down a pretty heavy 8 point rack I had hanging on the wall, and cut the horns off. Took them out tonite, and rattled them instead of my bag. Had 2 8s under my stand pretty quickly after I rattled them (the 2nd time in about an hour). They were fired up, and looking to fight. Coincidence? Possibly. But I won't take my rattle bag any more. Maybe you read the other thread, as I haven't recovered the buck yet. But those 2 bucks were doing everything but fighting right under my tree...I've never had that happen before in 22 yrs of hunting. I will say packin' the horns is a pain in the ass though.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 PM

I've used both and haven't had much luck with either. Don't know if it was just the wrong time of the season or what. I know I've had deer come out at a distance to take a look around after I rattled, but they wouldn't come any closer. Don't know why, I'm not rattling when they are looking.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a bag and have had some sucess with it.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Just wondering how aggresive to get on a bag? (that is all I have)

Do you just roll it betwwen your hands and "slap" it a little? Also how loud? Just wondering if you can get to load and have a reverse effect..

Thanks