Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long to wait when hanging new stand? >

How long to wait when hanging new stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long to wait when hanging new stand?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How long to wait when hanging new stand?

I want to hunt a place that I've been hunting on Saturday. I also want to hang a lock-on stand in a different tree....to make it easy for my son and I to get in there more quietly. Do I need to worry about the "New" scent....if I use good cover scent spray on it.....and...is tomorrow too late to hang this stand....if I wish to hunt there on saturday?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How long to wait when hanging new stand?

I have hung stand and shot a deer out of it that evening. I use my climber in differnt spots and see deer all the time.

Be very scent conscious,keep your trimming to a minumum andwear rubber gloves while hanging your stand.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Whenever I take a trip up north I hang stands and see deer the same day. One time I had deer come in when I was hanging a stand - they looked up with that typical, "now get a load of this moron" look on their faces and went on their business. The following day they came back and I took one. They are strange critters.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt it the same day quite often and I have had good luck doing so.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:45 AM

My second year hunting, first year bowhunting, I decided to buy a ladder stand. I wasn't having very good luck sitting on the ground. I'd have deer come within 15 yards everyday, nice bucks too, but every time I'd get ready for a shot something would go wrong. I hit a branch with my bow or one of my joints would pick that time to make the loudest pop in the world. Anyway, I decided it was time to buy a stand. Bought one, put it up in the afternoon and hunted the next morning. I didn't wear rubber gloves or spray any scent elimination on it, just put it up and cut a few branches out of the way to make some shooting lanes. I saw bucks the next morning and about every morning after that. I shot at one, but hit him too far forward. Hit the shoulder and didn't penetrate but about an inch. Learned a lot that year about hunting. I'd say hang it and hunt it and don't worry too much about anything else.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 AM

I try and wait at least 12 hours-72 hours

I have hung a stand and then seen deer withing a couple of hours, but it was not deer season.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my largest deer to date by hanging the stand the same day. I hung it at 11:30, went back at 3:00 shot it at 6:30.. BIG 8

So hang it, and as long as the wind is right you should be ok.. I wouldnt hang it though, unless your hanging it in the same wind as you would hunt the stand. Always use the wind...!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

It's the rut man, just hunt! Don't worry about anything. I've been halfway up a tree screwing in steps, sweating, cussing and talking to myself only to have a buck walk right by mepaying no mind. The bucks let their guard a little now, so take advantage of it. Hang it and hunt it. Nobody goes up a tree with a climber and waits 24 hours to shoot a deer out of it do they?

Hope your boy gets one!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 AM

as most have said it doesn't matter if you take the normal precautions. rubber boots sprat scent neutralizer on self and equipment, minimal trimming. go get em! i have a lone wolf hang on and climbing sticks and hunt multiple spots. i never leave a stand in the tree. i have taken many animals the 1st time on stand. i even walk in in the pre-dawn hours and just have a general idea where i want to hunt and take my headlamp look around for a good sitting tree and climb up and hunt. took 2 doe this way this year and passed on many small bucks. i don't have the money to buy tons of stands as well as i like being as mobile as possible. i believe in moving around and not letting the deer pattern you either.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else! You should be just fine hunting the same day!

Quick Reply: How long to wait when hanging new stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.