Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Watch out for that monkey... >

Watch out for that monkey...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Watch out for that monkey...

Old 11-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Watch out for that monkey...

The good news is I finally got him off my back. The bad news is that he is now on the loose again[8D]I killed a 9t that scored 142 1/8 and I will post the pics tomorrow when I get to work. We had a great hunt and saw tons of deer and several good bucks on our hunt despite the warm weather. They reponded really well to rattling and calling early in the week and then they started chasing pretty good later in the week. It was the best of hunt that I have ever been on. I can't imagine how good it would have been if it wouldn't have been so warm.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Watch out for that monkey...

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics. Oh yea need a story to go with it.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea we need pics yea and a story
Old 11-13-2005, 06:34 PM

Congrats again SA......... You deserve it!!! I've had the monkey on my back since the 2003/2004 season..... Last year I didn't have a single horned animal in bowrange and this season is no different so far......
Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Way to go Silent...My monkeys been hanging on for several years now.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the pic. I will follow with the story in a little while.

PS: I know I have gotten fat and I don't need any comments to remind me

Old 11-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!

Good job. Don't feel bad I have carried a monkey on my back before for so long it turned into a 600 pound gorilla! Way to turn it around!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK for the story......I was hunting a lock-on that I put up along a fence line that seperated a dry lake bed from a cut corn field. Does were bedding across the lake bed in a thick brushy area that bordered a road to the North of me and the wind was blowing out of the South. The guy I was hunting with was hunting 150 yards from me in the South west corner of the same field. He was hunting a field corner where a dry slough bed that had been planted in alfalfa met the corner of a narrow 1/4 mile strip of woods. Well the deer came from behind me across the middle of the cut corn field and I never knew he was around until he was 5 steps from my tree. As I reached for my bow he walked straight to the base of my tree. I looked down after taking my bow down and he was literally right below me. I shoot a single pin sight so as he started to walk off I moved my sight to the distance I expected to get a shot, if I got one at all. He made it to the next tree down the fence row and started working a licking branch but I didn't have a shot. So I sat down on my lock on and there was a basketball size hole to shoot through but but I could only see the bottom half of his vitals. I leaned over just a little and I could see the bottom two thirds of his vitals. So I leaned up and drew and anchored and then leaned over and put the pin on him and released. He was quartered to me a little and you can see in the picture that the arrow came out a little far back. Well he mule kicked and ran off 60 yards and bedded down. My buddy immediately called me on my cell and told me he was watching through binoculars and that I had made a perfect shot. Well the deer laid out there for 10 minutes with his head up looking around and then got up and slowly walked 15 yards and stood for another 5 minutes before slowy disappearing into the brush. Well I was sick about that so we backed out for an hour and a half but we had a rain storm breathing down our neck so we decided to go ahead and start tracking. We got to the spot that he laid down and there was maybe 10 drops of blood. So then we made it to the spot where he stood for 5 minutes and there was maybe 5 drops of blood. So at that point I made the decision to back out again since there was no blood trail to follow the rain storm wasn't going to hurt us in that department and there was no sense in taking a chance on pushing him. We went back the next morning and found him in about 10 minutes about 75 yards from where I last saw him and I had taken out the back of both lungs but organs had pluged the hole and he bled out internally instead of on the ground.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 AM

Sounds great def send some pics.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats SA! Way to go, great deer
(looks like that deer and the hunter haven't missed many meals lately , jk [8D])

Quick Reply: Watch out for that monkey...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.