Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rain

Old 11-13-2005, 10:26 AM

Default RE: Rain

If I had the right equipment, I'd hunt in any kind of weather so long as there was still a .000000001% chance I'd get to shoot a deer.

This thinking though is exactlythe cause of rust appearing on the allen heads of my beautiful Hoyt. I should've thoughtof this sooner but petroleum jelly on the allen heads would've prevented this from happening.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 PM

"I'd much rather have crunchy leaves so that I can here a deer walking from a mile away. They don't know what is walking in the woods unless they see/smell you."

I can pretty much tell what is walking in the woods when the leaves are crunchy, I can guarantee you that deer know what is walking in the woods based on the rythm and noise of the walk. I disagree with that statement.

Virginiashadowhunter

Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Bring on the rain, I hope for rain always. Always see the best deer in the rain(especially in rut). Silent walking and wet deer glow like ghosts. Deer really let their gaurd down in the rain and I don't run into any skunks when its raining
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I can hear squirrels and chipmunks screwing around 100 yards away, but deer can sneak up right behind you before you finally hear them.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ShadowAce

ORIGINAL: stoneman

I've seen big bucks every night I was out in heavy rain this year...I also love being able to get back to my stands in silence...no crunchy leaves. As long as you have decent gear, you should be quite comfy.
I'd much rather have crunchy leaves so that I can here a deer walking from a mile away. They don't know what is walking in the woods unless they see/smell you.
LOL heck, I don't WANT to hear them that far away.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:03 PM

Yeah, equipment maintenance is a big drag when out in the rain...but it didn't rain last night...so I fell into a creek so I'd have to do it anyway! [>:]
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Spike

I got absolutely drenched yesterday...it sucked...sat in my tree all day didnt see but two does at noon running across the field. The rain was supposed to hold off until 430 so i figured i would be in good shape seeming shooting time was 510. But 3 roles around and down poor slams down on me and 35 mile and hour winds....stupid me sits through it because there were 4 does working the edge of the corn field as the rain came in. Saw a NICE 6 pt about 25 yards from my stand...any other day i shoot him but the downpour made me think twice.....if the cross winds catch my arrow just enoughand i only hit 1 lung or whatnot then noway blood trail is around.....in other words...i was drenched and pissed off when i radioed my old man to find out he had been sitting in the truck for and hour nice and dry while i was sitting on a field edge getting the brunt of the storm. Enough with my rambling.