Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!! >

URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

When hunting from a stand do you aim higher or lower? IM hunting from one for the first time tomorrow please let me know.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:04 PM

Default RE: URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

[&:]Man,,if your going to hunt from a tree stand,,YOU NEED TO PRACTICE FROM A TREE STAND...Not good, buddy, not good.
The only thing worse than being unsure about the stand location you picked is,,,BEING UNSURE OF HOW YOUR EQUIPMENT WILL PERFORM !!.
I have been there,,a long time ago.Since then I ALWAYS make sure my gear will get the job done
Old 11-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not mine i want to go hunting so im going to my dads friends land on his stand. So i was asking for advice from another hunter not harrasment.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't know this late in the game perhaps you should pass on the stand until you have the opportunity to practice from the elevation you will be hunting from. If you don't know with a reasonable certainty whereto aim, then you don't need to take the shot and risk wounding and not recovering any game animal. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it is the best advise I can offer you. I think what Droptines means is that you have no idea how your bow shoots from elevation. BTW the advise I offer is constructive criticism. If you take it as harassment it pretty much tells me your mind is made up and you're going to hunt from that stand whether you are ready to or not.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:09 PM

It depends on how high you will be hunting and how you have your bow sighted. Droptines was simply suggesting that you need to practice from the conditions under which you will be hunting, he wasn't harassing you, he was being honest. Typically, you aim at the lower 1/3rd when hunting from above, like 18+ feet. I suggest that you do not hunt from a stand if you havent practiced from one.

Virginiashadowhunter
Old 11-11-2005, 08:39 PM

just remember the distance is the horizontal distance to the deer, the diagonal you're shooting on doesn't matter. so if the deer is at the same elevation as the base of the tree, and 20 yards from the tree, use your 20 pin. it doesn't matter that the deer may be 22 yards from you as your up in your stand. don't ask, its physics, and its real. and bend at your waist. don't drop your bow arm to aquire the target. draw and anchor like you always do and bend at your waist and you'll be fine. if you drop your bow arm you'll be changing a lot of things about your shot, and it will effect placement. if you bend at your waist, and know the horizontal distance to the deer, you'll be just fine. good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:46 PM

Get up on your roof or a tall ladder and shoot a few arrows tonight. See where you are hitting.
Do this in full hunting gear, everything you will have on tomorrow.
As long as you have been practicing from the ground and are accurate you'll be fine after shooting a few arrows from above.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 PM

PS
Shoot your broadheads. The sharpen them up before tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with the others...you should really practice from one first...the difference between the ground and a treestand is like night and day....please wear a harness if you're huntin' from a stand...if you don't have one then please stay on the ground...we would hate to have to read your obituary.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:55 PM

Good point, I forgot to mention a saftey harness.
Nothing good can come out of falling out of a tree!

Quick Reply: URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.