Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck in tow

Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Buck in tow

I mentioned in one of my other posts about missing a chance to shoot at a big buck. What would you all have done? Here's the deal. It was early morning not to long after sunrise. I got tired of holding my bow in my lap so I found a branch behind me in the tree to hang it on (I've since bought a bow holder). As I'm sitting there with nothing in my hands a doe comes out of nowhere. She is standing only about 10 yards in front of me and I don't have any thing between us to cover my movements. Instead of attempting to get my bow, I figured I'd let her pass then get my bow down and not take anymore chances. Well as I'm waiting for her to walk behind a tree this monster buck comes out from the same area. Now he is infront of my stand and I still don't have a bow in my hands [:@]!!! This buck was a beaut!!! I don't know much about scoring, but I'd guess he was a 10 or 12 point, perfect basket rack, great mass, spread was close to 15-20 inches, and the rack just looked huge!!! I had a doe estraus sent waffer hanging on a fence right where the too of them came out. The doe is looking in my direction and seems to be on edge. I keep trying to reach for my bow, but every time I move an inch, she stops and stares hard in my direction. The buck that is following her, makes a quick u-turn and sticks his nose right against the scent waffer and then turns back around and starts after her again. She is still looking at me and I don't want to blow this thing. I wait and as soon as she is behind some cover, with him right on her tail, I stand up grab my bow and get my release on there. She's started walking a little faster and he's staying right on her. I blow my grunt tube and he stops. I'm praying that he'll come charging back around the brush and give me a second chance, but he doesn't. I can see his breath and see him looking in my direction, but I guess since he didn't see any other deer, he wasn't going to come back. I watched as he followed her out of sight. One of my brothers told me that I should have just stood up, grabbed my bow and taken a quick shot. He said that most of the time, when a buck is following a doe, he isn't paying attention to much else and I probably could have gotten away with it. I just really didn't want take a chance at spooking him off forever.

I know this is a long story, but what would you all have done?

I learned a very valubale lesson that day....don't ever sit unprepared!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 AM

Default RE: Buck in tow

Right after I bought my first compound and gave up the recurve I realized i could not hold my all day while in stand. I proceeded to take out the factor cable gaurd and make my own. I replaced it with an alumimun rod of the same diameter and at the string end of it I bent a 180 degree hook about 3" long. I wear a waist safety belt and hang this hook on my belt while both sitting or standing. the bow is always at hands reach but my hands are free to keep warm in my pocket or paint my face or what ever I need to do. I have no fear of dropping my bow ifI take a little nap either. I does not look the best but it doesn't seem to get caught on brush any more often than your cams or sight gaurd and it sure is functional. I have used it on a Jennings and 4 different Hoyt bow including 2 for my sons. We would not know how to hunt out of a treestand without it. Here is a pic.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you made the right decision, except for not having your bow ready. Lesson learned.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you never know what might happen unless you try it. I say you shoulda kept moving for yer bow real slowly and try to get to it even with the doe watching you. I feel slow deliberate movements are much better than slow speradic ones. If the buck wasn't on edge you still had a chance with the doe being on edge. In my thinking it would have taken him a little bit of time to put it all together and you may have had time to get a good shot off not a hurried one. But that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 AM

You probably did the right thing. Odds are you wouldn't have to worry to much about the buck spooking as he only has one thing on his mind, but you sure as heck don't want to spook the doe as she will most deffinitly drag the buck off with her.

I use one of the realtree bow holders that screws into the tree and pivots out so that my bow is just to my left side and very easy to get with minimal movement.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow is always in hand or on my lap. If I'm standing for a long time I will put the stabilizer in a belt loop on my climbing harness. Acts as a holster and takes the weight off my arm but I still have to stabilize it, and keep the arrow on, with my hand.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:25 AM

I also believe that you made the right decision. If you would have busted the does he would havebusted youtoo.
Hopfully you can get in another opportunity.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM

yea my bow is always in hand as well....sometimes i just clip the release on lay it on the railing of my climber.........i added extra padding to the climber to prevent any noise....plus i hunt high up so most deer don't even spot me with my movement
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I stand up 98% of the time when bow hunting. I've got shooting rest on my stand that i hold my bow against to give me a little break. It's always in my hand and I'm always ready to shot. This is all learned from experience---trust me I had many mess ups before figuring out to hunt this way.

DP
Old 11-09-2005, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Bow is always in hand or on my lap. If I'm standing for a long time I will put the stabilizer in a belt loop on my climbing harness. Acts as a holster and takes the weight off my arm but I still have to stabilize it, and keep the arrow on, with my hand.
I think I may try this method today.

I usually rest my bow on my lap while sitting. While standing, it is hanging on the holder if not in my hand.

Quick Reply: Buck in tow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.