Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finally, A Buck Worth Taking...and I DID! >

Finally, A Buck Worth Taking...and I DID!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally, A Buck Worth Taking...and I DID!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Finally, A Buck Worth Taking...and I DID!

I was all worried about the weather last week. Remember, I kept posting about what we all thought about the weather. It was too hot, but it all worked out ok. I had a hunt planned for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Saturday, saw nothing but small 6pts and 8pts. Sunday I got skunked while one of my hunting buddies had a chance at one of our big boys 30 yards broadside and choked. So I got real discouraged for Mondays hunt and seeing the weather forecast expected to be in the 80's I was all but ready to kiss this season goodbye (at least the first half which is the best half).

But I am posting today so the story gets better and here is how it went down.......(a little long, sorry)

I hunted Sunday from daylight until 1:30pm only getting down because a couple of guys fired up chainsaws right next to me. After getting into camp and learning about where my buddy had seen one of our big boys I really got upset at my situation. All season long, I have seen lots of small bucks. 1.5 to 2.5 year olds. Ranging from spikes to small basket rack 8pts (which I was glad to see but I was interested in the bigger deer). Even though I did catch a glimpse of a small buck chasing a doe on Saturday, all the buck sign seemed to disappear and the rut seemed non existent. We have no rub lines, no active scrapes nothing yet each time I sit on stand I would see bucks. Could not figure this one out. Being discouraged I set out Sunday afternoon for new sign, I didn't find any. But either way, I had determined my stand locations I had up were not going to work. So I took my climber and wrapped it around a tree I have hunted in years past thinking this would be the one. That night, I was sleeping in my camper and something woke me up at 3am (I believe it was God but I am that kind of spiritual man) either way, it hit me. Stay with the stand where you have got all the pictures from the trail camera and seen all the little bucks and does.

So I did. At 5:15am I headed off to that stand. I got in the stand about 6:00am and right away I heard a deer running through the woods. I could barely see, but I had to go ahead and try to get him to come in close to try and at least see what it was. So I grunted. Then I heard the deer grunting back and coming. Then I saw him, light was low but I could tell it was a decent buck. I drew back but then a funny thing happened, he walked right by my trail camera and the flash went off and in the brief second I identified him as one of my 2.5 year olds. So I let down. That buck hung around for the next 20 minutes even allowing me to get some great video of him. He would leave and then come back just searching for he doe. Then as he went west, I had the hot doe walk by stand heading east.

Then things got quiet. I was beginning to think about my season so far. All the different bucks this year, the pics on the trail camera, the video I have gotten, the bobcats and began thinking about my annual trip with my Dad for firearms season. This year we are trying a new place, Tarkio MO.

Just then I heard footsteps below my stand and behind me. As I glanced backwards all I could see was horns and a big deer walking at a steady pace parallel to my stand. Am I dreaming, could this be happening. Instantly identifying him as a mature shooter buck. Without hesitation I arose from my stand grabbing my bow off of my bow hook, lowering my scent-lok facemask so the kisser button would fit securely and in the proper place, locking in the release on my string. The buck was heading right for one of my shooting lanes I had cut down earlier in the year. Looking at the path he was walking when he got to my shooting lane he was going to be right in front of my 30 yard tree I had identified with my rangefinder many times before. I drew back my High Country Bow with the Carbon Express Arrows with the All White Vanes and Rocket Expandable Broad heads and waited. Just as he began to take a step into the shooting lane I did the infamous bleat we all hear on TV so much...........Braaaaaaaap........He stopped and looked up hill but no up in the tree. I took steady aim, looking for the double lung shot and released...

I saw the arrow fly the entire way striking the deer in the general area of a double lung shot. The arrow did not pass through but instead stuck out about 15" of my 28" arrows. He immediately turned and ran back the way he came. I could see the arrow sticking out of him the entire way.

Instantaneously a sense of joy, excitement, and adrenaline overcame my body. All of this happened so fast I did not have time to get the buck fever. I merely acted on the instinct of what I had imagined and practiced so many times over and over in my mind. So buck fever hit me after the shot. I immediately grabbed my video camera and caught my emotions and feelings on video. I wanted to capture that moment forever and I did.

Right then I made the decision to give this buck 3 to 4 hours to expire. It was a tough wait but I kept myself busy breaking down camp. When I finally did go and get him he ran about 75 yards and rolled. It was a great hunt and one I will not forget. No he is not the biggest in the world, but for little ole' Spokane Missouri, hunting hardwoods and watching small buck after small buck for the last couple of years, its a trophy in my mind and will soon be headed to the taxidermist.

Now, time to grab my grandpa's old Remington 30-06 and head to Tarkio in search of another set of horns. Although my wife says she would rather have a 1.5 year old Northern Missouri doe (better eating).

Good Luck to all!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Finally, A Buck Worth Taking...and I DID!

Congrats on the fine buck.Good story also.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck...he's a nice one alright.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing, and oh yeah, I WANT ONE!!!
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a good buck!

Congrats to you!!!!

Great story and deer. Thanks for sharing
Old 11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Nice Buck! I like the mass! WTG---Good Luck w/ the High Power or what my Dad calls "old painless".

DP
Old 11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love that mass baby!

Congratulations on a very nice buck...Great story too!!