Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

campfire smell

Old 11-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: campfire smell

I wouldn't sweat it. Play the wind as best you can...
Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 AM

I once read that indians used to use campfire smell and ashes as a cover scent and a camoflauge. You know what ashes are composed of? ...carbon. Guess what all these scent blocking clothes use to block scent...carbon.
roll in the ashes and your sure to kill a biggun!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Hot Camp Shower
Is what we are using...works great!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I can't camp without a fire, it's better than cable TV in my opinion. Maybe hazcon7 doesn't want a fire because it brings back bad memories... he actually LIVED in a tent in the woods for a few months. As in homeless(kind of). But don't feel bad for him nowadays, he's doin' just fine
Old 11-08-2005, 12:24 PM

I AM A MEMBER OF THE TEAM KISKY FORUM AND I WAS BETWEEN HUNTSON OCT 31ST, THAT NIGHT I WAS ON THE FORUM AND A TROPHY HUNTER BY THE NAME OF "DROPTINE" TURNED ME ON TOA THING CALLED "SMOKING UP" BASICLY WHAT YOU DO IS BAG UP SOME LEAVES PUT THEM INTO A SMALL CAN AND LIGHT THEM AND THEN STAND IN THE SMOKE. NOW I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN SCENT CONTROL BUT FOR SOME RESON I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING CLOSE TO DEER THIS SEASON, SO THE WIFE AND I GAVE "SMOKING UP" A TRY ON NOV 1ST. WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY I SMELLED JUST LIKE SMOKE AND NEVER BELIEVED THAT THIS WAS GOING TO WORK, BUT I SHOT A GOOD 8PT THAT NIGHT STRAIGHT DOWN WIND AT 18YRDS IN 10MPH WINDS. THE BUCK NEVER EVEN FLINCHED, OR SPOOKED IN ANY WAY. NOW IF THAT DIDN'T MAKE ME A BELIEVER THE WIFE ALSO HAD AN 8PT COME IN ON HER THE SAME NIGHT, HE CIRCLED HER ON THE DOWN WIND SIDE BUT SHE WAS UNBALE TO GET A SHOT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD ALOT OF ELK HUNTERS OUT WEST DO THIS BECAUSE OF THE CRAZY WINDS IN THE MTS. I KNOW IT SOUNDS NUTS, BUT GIVE IT A TRY. SOMETIMES WORKING OUT SIDE THE BOX IS JUST WHAT WE BOWHUNTERS NEED. GOOD LUCK, STAYSAFE.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Spike

Snyper,

I was going to reference the same post over on Kisky.com. I posted over there where I read an article a few years back about a guy that was taught by his indian grandfather to stalk within touching distance to deer. Smoke and ashes were his only scent control. The article actually said this guy could be standing next to a deer trail, have his arm extended and actually have a deer move under his extended hand as if to pet it while it walked by. Amazing.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

some times..when its really cold out..the deer smell the campfire smell and the go to that smell casue they signify that a campfire is goin and it will be warm..never tried it tho..good luck tho'
Old 11-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like guys have said before, if a deer associates smoke with danger he may leave and vice versa.

I live way out in the country where loggers are burning their slash piles (me included) right now. Every country person I know burns wood for heating their homes. Smoke is everywhere...daily. I really don't worry much about smoke from a fire, but then again the deer I hunt smell it daily.

I wouldn'ttake on the"campfire smell" if I know I am hunting in a secluded bucks bedding area where campfire smell isn't very prevelant.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post snyper and I agree, I was waiting for someone to say it. I hunt in burns here a lot and I am covered with soot at the days end at times. Smoke and burns are a natural accurance and game is quite familiar with the smell of a natural fire, but if your cooking eggs and bacon over it then you change it all together as your exposes a smell that the game is not familiar with. I think smoke is one of the best cover up scents that a person could use, but use it if burns are common. Its kinda like using apples as a cover scent, but if apples aren't in the area, it will draw suspision.
Enjoy your campfire.

Bobby