Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 odd happenings in the stand >

odd happenings in the stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

odd happenings in the stand

Old 11-08-2005, 09:08 AM

Default RE: odd happenings in the stand

The worst I ever got was to climb up into one of my boxstands to find a chicken snake coiled up on my seat. I figured i would let him hunt that spot. One of my buddies dad had went to sleep in his stand once and awoke to see a hawk inches from his face with his talons. Luckily it didnt get him too bad just a few stiches. The only thing we could figure is that the gray in his beard on his chin made the ole hawk think it was a squirrel.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a squirrel sit on my boot for about 5 minutes one time before I got tired of him and kicked him off onto the ground. You want to talk about something that got peed off. He came right back up the tree on the back side at head level and peeked around at me. I just looked at him and gave him a big old raspberry. He decided that I wasn't anything to mess with and exited my part of the woods quick fast and in a hurry.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a big hawk land right on the big cedar limb I was resting my elbow on. He and I made eye contact, I watched him for about 5 seconds then decided to wiggle the branch, he flew off.

Had a young black bear sitting in my stand one time while I approached it. That was a site. I about died laughing at him. I moved on down the ridge and hunted a different stand to say the least. I figured his mother was around somewhere...

Had a mooo-cow bed down right at the base of my tree one time. Until I hit her in the head with my knife scabert. LOL

Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I was in a permanent stand in a forked tree once and was watching a squirrel make his way from tree to tree. Eventually he made it to my tree and started climbing down the trunk that I was leaning against. He made it to within about a foot above my head and we were staring at each other. I decided enough was enough and made some movement to scare him off before he decided to climb down my face and the rest of my body.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:30 AM

I don't have near the stories you all do... the weirdest thing that has happened to me was the squirrel that ran up my tree and slapped me in the back of my head with his tail on the way up.

Oh... another squirrel story, first week of bow season this year I was sittin there, and we have an apple tree right next door to our tree, squirrel was eatin apples, dropped one and missed my head by inches.... he about got himself a trip to the dinner table real quicklike... I told him (and I actually TOLD this squirrel) he had one more chance and he better not blow it or he wouldn't live to eat another apple!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not even sure where to begin...
Probably my worst experience was a few years ago I was sitting in a ladder stand. Got settled in and it was still dark so I leaned my head back on the tree. About 5 minutes later I hear something coming down the tree. I open my eyes in time to see a racoon about 6 inches from my nose. He climbed down over the side of my face and over my shoulder. Scared the living wee wee out of me (literally). I flung him off me with my arm to the ground from 15 feet. Freaked me out pretty bad.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was at full draw on a nice buck waiting for the shot when I heard a squirrell comming down my tree and stop right above me. I'm thinking this ain't going so good and feel little feet start to touch my head as if to test the waters. (Not that I am a water head or anything ) I tyried to stay focused but couldn't. Wound up slapping the crap out of the tree rat and watched a nice buck bounce off.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:42 AM

I have had birds land on me, squirrels jump on me and had a huge woodpecker fly right at me to swerve at the last second. That freaked me out. I think NY Bowhunter has me beat on the best one though. There was a racoon climbing up the tree and I think he wanted to share my stand. I actually broke off a branch and threw it at him. I didn't want to tangle with his claws or teeth.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I had a fly-by from an owl. It freaks you out because you never hear it come as it glides through the woods.

Another time, I was walking to my stand through a CRP field before dark and I heard somethingrunning towardsme. I hit the ground and looked ahead and I could only see the faint hue of the horizon and tried to focus on what what coming my way. Next thing I know I'm face to face with a SKUNK! Yikes! I bailed out of there in a hurry.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing too dramatic. I've had birds land on my arrow, and coons, possum, and squirrels climb half way up my tree until they realize I'm up there.

Quick Reply: odd happenings in the stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.