Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone try "the great big can" >

Anyone try "the great big can"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone try "the great big can"

Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone try "the great big can"

I bought one to try out in case I see a bruiser that isn't coming
to me and want to try a long shot to bring him in. I was out on Sat. and was seeing alot of little bucks running around chasing does. Then I see a very nice 2.5 8 point and he comes directly to my tree, within 10 yards. I didn't even pick up the bow as he isn't what I am looking for. After he harrassed a doe for awhile they moved off a ways and were milling around. I thought I would try "the can" to get his reaction. I turned it over twice and within 10 seconds that buck let out the shortest but loudest gruntI have ever heard in my life. It actually startled me and made me jump, that is how loud it was. He did not come back to me but obviously was responding vocally. Has anyone used one and had it bring a good buck to them? I have two more days to hunt this rut and need to know if I should put "the can" in my fanny pack or throw it in the closet with all the other gadgets I have, like the "fighting purr" turkey call that never did a lick for me in many, manytries.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone try "the great big can"

i had great response from the original can so i thought the bigger one would work well too..i never got to find out cause i ended up dropping it into the water while i was in my treestand...they don't like water...not even a lil bit...lol.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had success with my original can. I personally think it sounds too much like a fawn. Does the bigger can have a deeper sound?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Spike

dont know about the BIG can but got this guy to come into the woods after i used the original can last shothgun season.....

Old 11-08-2005, 01:24 AM

I haven't tried the big can yet, but I think I'd like to. I've had some decent response when I've used the 'lil' can and figured the others would work well too, just haven't went out and bought one yet. I'm fairly new to the hunting world and I'll keep trying different things until I find something that works without a doubt.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the big one, figuring I could muffle it for close calling. It is louder and deeper than the lil' can. I tried the little one in the store and too thought it sounded like a fawn, so I got the big one.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

i have killed 2 decent bucks using the origanal can one was 4.5 year old killed that one after i passed on 2 smalled one i called in..
Old 11-08-2005, 11:23 AM

I have had the big one work. I bought it because it is generally kind of windy around here so I needed something that would carry.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:36 AM

My hunting buddy has a great big can, doesnt help with deer much though. I think it makes it harder for him to climb up hills and it makes his tree stand creak all the time....
Old 11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Spike

I have had lots of success with the original can. Last Sunday I had a doe 100 yards away hit the brakes and come in. I could only see a deer cruising thru so I hit it hard 6 or 7 times and she turned on a dime and came in to 15 yards.

I have had other does and bucks come to it also. I didn't buy the big can because I have had so much success with the original. I'd only guess the big one works in windy conditions better.

Quick Reply: Anyone try "the great big can"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.