Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 West Virginia Rut Activity??? >

West Virginia Rut Activity???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Rut Activity???

Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Spike

Default West Virginia Rut Activity???

Anyone hunting West Virginia seen any rutting activity going on? I hunted Friday and Saturday and didn't see the first buck. I did see a few doe, but not as many in past hunts. I am guessing the hot weather has them moving more at night. Sure hope it gets cold fast.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: West Virginia Rut Activity???

I'm across the border in VA, and we saw a lot of pre-rut activity 4 days before the new moon (11/2). Since then, NADA!!!

I'm hoping the same, I've set aside a lot ofhunting time this Wed., Fri., Sat., Mon., and next Wed.in order to catch the rut.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 PM

I hunt in Wva, and also Va. Last week there was alot of rut sign going on and bucks were on the move everywhere. Now all of a sudden poof, they stopped. I think its probably the temps. I'm really hoping for a major cold front to move in!!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:15 PM

I havent been hunting in about a week but I hope there is. Maybe time to pull the old CAN out..............
Old 11-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now they're calling for a cold snap Thursday and Friday, lows in the 20's and highs in the 50's. SWEET!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:43 PM

Yep, I have hunted every day since Nov 1st and the first few days the bucks were really on the move with the cold weather here in WV. However, the last few days I have seen almost no daytime deer activity due to the mid 70 degree temps. My trail cams show the bucks still working scrapes but all under the cover of darkness. The does still have not came into heat yet in WV but my guess is that the end of this week you should really see the mature bucks on there feet and all of next week should be great. The weather man is forecasting a real good cold front moving through the end of this week and all of next week so it's time to put some serious time in a tree stand!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Spike

I've only seen a few scrapes lately. Hoping to go out Wednesday through Saturday this week. The last buck I've seenwas a small 6 point and he was going to an apple tree about 1:30 in the afternoon.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Spike

Maybe this week before rifle season will be the one with all the activity... The weather is changing and it will be colder and even some snow forcasted for next week.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 PM

The pre-rut is for sure happening now. I hunted Friday and Saturday morning and saw 4 different bucks all chasing does.The big bucks are stillcruizing at night and working scrapes though. The does have not come into heat yet but thesmall bucks arechasing them all over. Next week should be the week especially with thecold weather on the way.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been out almost every day and haven't seen a mature buck yet. All the scrapes around my stand are being hit at night. I hope it gets better as it gets colder.

GO Weir HighRed Riders........ On thier way to being state champs.

Quick Reply: West Virginia Rut Activity???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.