Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some help!! >

Need some help!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some help!!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Need some help!!

hey, well just got back from another weekend at the camp, last weekend i seen a doe and 2 fawns, this weekend nothing, lots of poop around my apples and loads of tracks, i also found a scrape on the ground about 50 yards from my apples, so i dont know much about deer hunting, i was always told, put apples out, sit, wait, shoot lol but anyway, this buck must be around if he scraped there right? havent seen any rubs yet tho, so how can i bring this buck into my apples/stand, if he scrapes the ground that means hes letting the does know hes ready or what ever right? so if i got some tinks69 and put some of that out would this more then likly bring him in? thanks for any help you guys/girls can give me! i wonna be extra ready for next weekend!!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Need some help!!

go to your local pro shop and get the Primos "great big Can"i had the same problem.if theres scraps he's leaving his calling card for does.If he hears a doe beatit mightbring him in. Good luck
Old 11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

use some urine, a bleat can and also get a grunt tube. do some tending grunts with doe bleats and he might just get jellous and poke his head out. good luck hope hes a slobe.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Spike

alrighty! i have a mini grunter here somewhere, that will work fine right? ill have to pick up a can, i got some tinks69, what about rattling? does it work good in the pre-rut?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am guessing the apples are situated in a field?
Is the scrape along a field edge?
From my experience most scrapes along the field edges are visited more at night.I would say get as close to his bedding area as you can without spooking him.
Try some tinks69 or doe estrious and see if you can really get his curiosity going,hopefully he will show up during the day.Another thing to try is get in the woods,thicker the better,and try rattling and grunting.It works in some areas and not others,but what do you have to loose.
Just curious but what part of Nova Scota do you live in?
I lived there for 15 years combined between there and Ontario growing up as my father was in the military.
Good luck with him and let us know how the outcome is.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Spike

thanks for the help man! im in the Valley (North Mtn) i hunt on the south mtn near gasperuo!, the apples are in a big swampy, medo, the scrape it in the hardwoods behind me, im pretty sure i know where hes coming from, i dont have any portible stands, i have a climber but all the trees in that part of the hardwoods are beach (never knotty wood) so i cant use my climber on that, so should i make up a little blind? or would building a small stand outta wood not be to much noise? (man o man i need to invest in a portible stand lol) maybe ill be able to get my old man to weld me one up before the weekend (i only get to hunt there on weekends )
what was your hunting like down here in Nova Scotia? not to many people i know take big bucks around here? know any secrets you dont mind sharing to get these NS bucks in, there smart buggers i can tell ya that much lol!