Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Want advise on which stand to hunt >

Want advise on which stand to hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Want advise on which stand to hunt

Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Want advise on which stand to hunt

First post. I have a dilema I want advise on. Next Weds I took off to bow hunt from sun up until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I have done this before with success and plan on being in the tree the whole time or until I get lucky. My point is I want the best chance stand and not waste time. I have 2 possible stands that I want to hunt.

Stand 1: In Aug I saw a perfect 10 point, 160 class buck in back of my house for 2 weeks. 10 days ago I set up one of my students from school in a stand and scent pushed some timber. The buck came within 10 feet of him, he tried to draw, buck saw movement and trotted(not ran) off. The area I have to hunt him is only 40 acres. It is half timber and brush and half bean field with the brush timber in the middle and beans on the outside. I started to put up a different stand yesterday and will finish it tomorrow. Of course I will leave scent and will have to do some light chainsawing for shooting lanes to make it worth while. It is where 4 ditches/drainages come together. A definite funnel for cover loving deer and my number one choice. I hunted the timber one evening with my 4 year old son for squirels(no shots fired), came through it last Fri after bow hunting, and walked through it once to look at possible walnut trees to log. I would love to get this buck and know he is somewhere in the area. I also know the stand should have gone up last summer(hanging stand). My only concern is that from the human activity and stand prep he will/is nocturnal or too wary.

Stand 2: 2- 40 acre patches of timber where there is a 100 yard strip of creek woods half mile long connecting the two. No crops and has been a proven stand in years past. It has had zero human activity as far as I know and historically has harbored big bucks. Only problem is I would still have to hang a stand there as well and it is 15 miles away(I get spoiled hunting close).

I am pretty religous about scent: take shower, no scent deodrant, scent free clothes in bag, etc. For either stand the wind could be a factor but I can determine that the day before. This would give me something to plan for. So given those stats what do you think? #2 maybe the obvious choice but my hope was that the historically best time to hunt being around the 9th and 10th that a searching buck would cover ground and not think as much about previous contact. Let me know and if you have time give me your justification. Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Want advise on which stand to hunt

Anyone?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: TurkeyTime

Stand 1: In Aug I saw a perfect 10 point, 160 class buck in back of my house for 2 weeks.
That would be where I would sit
Old 11-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Spike

I have hung a stand in the mid-morning and had a number of deer come by itthat evening. I would hunt stand 2, sounds like a good place and if it hasn't been pressured then that makes it even better. I love hunting new stands or ones I haven't been at for a while. Good Luck
Old 11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with your traveling buck theory. He has the earge to surge so he'll come thru.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

as Greg Miller would say "go with your feelings", If you have a feeling about a certain stand, jump in it, you got to be there... Good Luck to ya
Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Well I saw him yesterday afternoon in back of our house chasing a doe. Too bad I was helping clean out a closet. Today and tomorrow temp is supposed to be in the 70's then cool down to 57 when I hunt all day Weds so I hope everything pans out.