Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eight from this past weekend >

My eight from this past weekend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eight from this past weekend

Old 11-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Default My eight from this past weekend

Well it's not the hoss from the other property I posted last week under the title of how big is this 8, but it was too good of a deer to pass up.

Went to the hot spot in southeast Ohio this past weekend, and after 2 years of seeing deer at every single hunt, I went on a cold streak this year. It had been 2 straight days without seeing a deer closer than 400 yards. Unlike years past my hunting partner and I decided to split up and cover more of the property and I was breaking in a new stand with little luck. The morning hunt came and passed and after hunting from the ground for 2 straight hunts, I decided that the tree i was backed up against would make a great place to put my climber.The property and the location was loaded with signand I knew it was just a matter of timeuntil I started to see activity.

Ending the hunt early, I decided against my better judgement, I would cut down some of the surrounding thicket and prep the spot for the afternoon hunt where I would bring my climber out.

At 3:30 we enter the woods and by 4:00 I'm situated about 12-15 foot up a tree on the edge of a field line between 3 trails and scrapes on either side of a field about 200 yards wide, not too mention numerous trails run across the woods behind me at 50 yards.

By 4:15 I hear movement in the woods, the unmistakable sound of a deer walking on dried leaves. As I peer into the woods I notice a decent 8 point walking past me through some brush at 40 yards. I grunt two or three times and he stops just long enough to pin point the noise but continue on his way.

4:45 comes and again movement behind, but this time as I'm peering into the woods there appears to be no deer immediately present. As I turn to face the field I see a doe bust out of the woods to my left running across the field with a decent 8 dogging her 50 yards back.

The 8 stands out in the middle of the field and watches the doe go into the woods. I grunt a good 6-8 times and he begins to focus his attention in my direction. I snort wheeze and here he comes working up the edge of the wood line.

5 minutes later he has slowly closed the gap to 50 yards and I've decided if he breaks the 35 yard mark I'll shoot. He mosies up to 40 stopping at a scrape, raking his antlers in the tree and leaving his scent. For no apparent reason he turns and heads into the woods and my opportunity is gone.

6:30 in the last 30 minutes of light a doe busts out from the property to my right at 150 yards and behind her again is the same buck. This time the doe walks to 100 yards and the buck stops behind her at 20 yards leaving his scent behind in the field. As the buck finishes up and begins to trot toward the doe, she moves in my direction moving at a moderate pace.

She continues on her way until she is at 5 yards directly under my stand. She looks up notices something is not quite right, but continues on her way running right beneath my tree through the path I cut earlier that morning.

As if he is on a string the 8 follows the same path and comes to within 5 yards. I settle in and lower the boom after stopping him. The shot enters the top front of his shoulder exiting out the directly behind his leg where his leg and mid section meet taking out both lungs and the heart. 50 yards and a few seconds later my trophy is down. This is my second buck with a bow and 2 in 3 years of hunting. I am hooked forever.

Sorry for the pic quality.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My eight from this past weekend

good job, congrats!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job friend. Nice 8
Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Nice buck. Congrats!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM

nice deer....i shot one two years ago whos rack went up like that....nice job
Old 11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go
Old 11-03-2005, 04:44 AM

Great looking buck!!! Good job and nice shooting. I don't think I'd have passed him up either. I'd be happy seeing anything like that around here, but I'm new to bow hunting and I believe and quote other hunters who have said something like 'any deer you take with a bow is a trophy.'

Old 11-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

YOU DA MAN !!! CONGRATS ........ YOU NAILED HIM !!

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 11-03-2005, 05:49 AM

Congrat's.... Nice story, keep up the good work.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Spike

Great buck, Congrats

Quick Reply: My eight from this past weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.