Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-07-2002, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Rocky Mt. Snyper.........field results?????

I posted one in Bowhunting Gear review about a week ago. Here is a recap.

Two guys took deer (me and a friend). I took a small buck and a doe. Buck went 40 yds, doe went about 80 yds. Both were shot about 1/2 way up torso and about 10" from shoulder joint at 20 yds. Both were pass throughs shooting a 415 grain arrow at about 255 fps. There was NO blood trail on either. The one of the expanding blades broke on the little buck, either on the ground behind or on the ribs.

Other guy took a large 8-pt buck at 20 yds quartering away, hit both lungs. Deer went about 40 yds. He shoots a little lighter arrow at about 258 fps. Clean pass through. Blood trail started about 20 yds from impact point.

They all flew straight. Only concern was lack of blood trail. The exist wounds are about 1-1/2" slices in the side, very clean.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jaydog, welcome to the board! I tried the snypers for the first time this past weekend. I shot a fairly good sized doe(about 100lbs. dressed weight) from 15yds., through the middle of her lungs. She traveled about 25 yds, and the blood trail started almost immediately. The exit hole on my shot was fairly low, almost into the white belly hair, so her lungs did not have to fill up too much to start leaking. I was very impressed with the results I got however, due to the design of the heads, I would not use them on anything much bigger than a whitetail.
I added the info about my low exit hole because this may be why bowtex experienced either no blood trail, or one that starts late.
I have shot several bucks through the top half of the lungs with thunderheads, only to have them run 30-35yds and go down with no blood trail. When I opened them up, they were completely full of blood. The hole was too high to let the blood out before they went down.
Good Luck with whatever you decide!

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 10-09-2002, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a nice buck last year with one. 23 yard broadside shot. High entrance wound, middle of the chest exit. Excellent blood trail, buck traveld less than 25 yards. Blades in great shape, ferule bent on a rock after passing through the deer.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-09-2002, 05:10 AM

I haven't used them, I shoot Steelheads, but my friend shot one saturday and they worked great. He shot in the chest through the other side right through the opposite shoulder. Great penetration and he bled out real fast. If your shot is good, you won't need to worry about broadheads.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Spike

Got my first Black Bear last May with Snypers, a 6'6', 390Lbs.
I had a 69Ke in my Mathews Bow.
I got a bouth lungs but one blade broke on the rib in the way out.

The Bear only ran 50 yards.

Old 10-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Spike

I've taken 3 does, one of them this year with the Snypers. I have had excellent results and short tracking jobs. I'm staying with them until something better comes along.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:42 PM

I took a 9 point this past weekend about 150 lbs live weight. The shot was a little high and back. Complete pass thru, good blood trail excellent entry and exit wound. I'm sold on 100%