Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Armguards or not? >

Armguards or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Armguards or not?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Armguards or not?

ORIGINAL: Bowfever

I always wear one, just in case I would slap my arm, seems to keep the arrow on target better than hitting my arm. I also wear it on the outside of my heavy hunting jacket to keep the material compressed and out of the way. Better safe than sorry.
ditto
Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt without one. My clothes are tight enough that they don't get in my way. And my draw length is set good enough, that I don't need one whether I'm wearing clothes or not. I never hit my arm.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

STS has eliminated the need,even with the thickest clothes.

I never needed an armguard much but used one while hunting to insure my sleeve wouldn't hit,now I don't have to worry.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:29 PM

I found out while practicing in the backyard with hunting gear on the my string would hit my jacket about every 3rd shot.
I don't have an armguard so I went inside and grabbed a sweatsock with a hole in it. Cut off the foot part and slid it up over my jacket sleeve to compress it.
Worked like a charm!
But, I don't want half my arm to be white in the woods!
I went to the store and bought a pack of 6 pairs of lightweighthunting socks fro 5.00, they are kind of a brown color.
I cut off the foot and use it the same way.
I figure I'll have enough for several years for the 5.00!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only time I wear one is if I am wearing heavy clothing while hunting and that's just to keep the bulk out of the way.

If you need an arm guard then you are either shooting a bow with too long a draw length which is causing you to over extend your body, locking your elbow which puts your forearm in the path of the string, or are shooting a bow with a very short brace height.

If a person is matched to a bow properly and shooting with good form then an armguard shouldn't be needed.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:00 PM

I wish I would have used one when I first started shooting. It probably would have prevented the huge bruse on my arm. After taking my bow to a bow shop and have the draw length adjusted and shown how to properly hold the bow when shooting, I haven't needed one. I don't think there is any shame in using one as long as it keeps you out there bow hunting.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:28 PM

I didn't wear an arm guard for years while shooting in t-shirts....only wore it when chilly weather came around and had to wear a jacket or coat.

Now, wear it all the time after reading that it can give you abit of protection if an arrow explodes after release.

My draw length is abit long for me...30"...I think a 28 1/2" would be better for me....but I do not slap my arm with the string...and my shots are good up to 40 meters...so I'm not going to change the draw length.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t use an armguard for target or 3-D, but I will always use one when I have my hunting gear on. I’ll take no chance of my string hitting the extra layers of clothing when drawing on the big guy.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used one when I first started. Then as I practiced more with my compound, I found I didn't need it anymore. Now I have a Trophy Ridge sight with a built-in level, helps in holding the bow properly and avoiding string lash.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 AM

I wear a short one, more to hold the clothes back. I have wacked my arm slightly in short sleeves but thats due to locking out my arms.

Old habits die hard.

I used to shoot recurve when I was a kid and I was dead on but with locked arm. I would of thought that the scar tissue would be built up good enough from those wacks....

Quick Reply: Armguards or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.