Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best GPS for use when hunting? >

Best GPS for use when hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best GPS for use when hunting?

Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best GPS for use when hunting?

What is the best GPS as far as signal reception. I have tried two GPS's and neither would pick up worth a dime in the woods. I had an old Eagle Explorer GPS that picked up in heavy cover. The two I have tried is the Etrex and Rino 120.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best GPS for use when hunting?

Hey BC,

I have the Magellan Explorist 300 it seems to pick up a signal pretty good.

Tom
Old 10-31-2005, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a magellen meridian color. I think it's been replaced by the explorist line mentioned above. I usually turn it on and put it in my backpack or in my pocket, I never lose signal with it even in heavy canopy. My old gps was terrible, I had to be in the open for it to lock on. For hunting, I would make sure you get one with a digital compass. Mine doesn't have one, I have to walk in one direction for about five feet and then look at the screen to see which direction i'm going. my buddy has the lowrance i-hunt or something like that. it's a great gps for hunting.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Magelllan Explorist 200 and it works alright in the National Forest here in Botetourt County, VA. I used it today for the first time and it was accurate to within 20 to 60 feet depending on how many satellites I could get locked onto. The most I had locked was 9, which is OK considering the trees still have leaves. I might have had more, but everytime I stopped I looked and 6 seemed to be the norm. GPS's are great for hunting and I marked my squirrel kills as they occurred and I got an idea of how far I walked because the GPS tracked it for me. I don't regret buying the Magellan Explorist 200 at all and I only paid $80 for it on Ebay, but they sell for $150 in the Cabelas catalog. One thing important is to keep a spare set of batteries on hand and make sure they are charged or good. One good thing about the 200 is that it displays the altitute too and there is an electronic compass.

Once you get one of these and read the manual you will be amazed at how useful they can be when hunting or hiking.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Rino 120, and have not lost signal while hunting. It will not connect to the satellites from my house though.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:08 PM

I have an older magellen topo and it works great.