Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
SUCCESS!!!  A nine year olds first bowhunt... >

SUCCESS!!! A nine year olds first bowhunt...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SUCCESS!!! A nine year olds first bowhunt...

Old 10-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default SUCCESS!!! A nine year olds first bowhunt...

I took my 9 year old daughter, Alyssa, hunting last Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I hunt on 160 acres of private land in northern Michigan. We got there in time to hunt Thursday afternoon. It rained and it was windy, which made for a terrible hunt. Friday mornig was the same, only the rain was harder. Friday afternoon was a little better, the rain finally stopped and we saw three deer about 100 yards away. They never came in, but at least we saw something. Saturday morning was great! No rain, the wind had stopped and the temperature was down to about 45 degrees (it had been between 55-65 until then). We got into our stand (23 feet high) around 6:50 am. At 8:05, a porcupine came in to our sugar beets. I was going to shoot it, but I figured that Alyssa should at least see something. I let her use my grunt call at 8:20, and 5 minutes later two deer came right in. As they ate (with the porcupine) one of the deer looked up right at us, I froze and hoped that my daughter remembered everything that I have been telling her about holding still. She did and a few minutes later my arrow flew true. We got down after 20 minutes, I took down her stand (because I'm moving it for a later hunt) went to get my truck and started to look for a blood trail. Alyssa found the first blood about 30 yards from where I hit it. We tracked for about 15 minutes, she stayed at the last sign as I looked ahead. we came to a small opening and as i looked for more blood, she said "look over there, Dadddy!!!" She found first blood and the deer!!! It was a small spike. She actually helped me field dress it, holding back the legs and even holding open the rib cage. As I dragged it back to the truck she asked if she could help. How could i tell her no? What a GREAT feeling it was to harvert my first whitetail, with my little girl right by my side! Just three years until she can take one of her own...

Old 10-06-2002, 08:53 PM

Default RE: SUCCESS!!! A nine year olds first bowhunt...

Right now I rnvy you. Glad to hear you took your daughter,way to start em out right!!
Old 10-06-2002, 08:56 PM

Congrats! You got a good girl there!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:08 PM

that's a great story and u have a wonderfull little girl my friend!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:45 PM

Now thats great. Good job. Memories for a lifetime!
Old 10-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't wait to start bringing my son with me. He's 4 now, it'll be a few years.

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 10-07-2002, 02:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on the deer and glad your daughter is involved.Brings back memories when my children were small
Old 10-07-2002, 04:36 AM

Right on brother....i've been taking my 10yr old newphew with me & can't wait to knock one down for him..........Brampton Mike
Old 10-07-2002, 05:44 AM

memories memories,thumb's up on the deer and sound's like either your daughter had a good teacher or is a natural to deer hunting, tell her congrat's and keep the spirit of hunting with her
Old 10-07-2002, 06:23 AM

Way to go, and glad to see you involve your daughter. I hope that mine show interest when the time comes. My boy on the other hand few years younger is already wanting to shoot.

Quick Reply: SUCCESS!!! A nine year olds first bowhunt...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.