Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 keep getting busted >

keep getting busted

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

keep getting busted

Old 10-29-2005, 05:29 PM

Default keep getting busted

Has anyone ever had a problem getting "sniffed out" when using a White acorn scented human scent eliminator or any scented human scent eliminator?
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: keep getting busted

Spend a little money and get a military surplus chemical suit (I got mine for $10 off of ebay), and buy some spray on scent kill. You do this and you won't get busted by your scent.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:46 PM

I don't use scent anything....just use Hunters specialties laundry soap for my clothing, Ban roll-on scent free deodorant and home made scent eliminator for everything else...so far this year I have been upwind from deer at about 30yds 3 or 4 times and not been winded. All this I’m telling you I got from the bow hunting veterans from this site and they haven't let me down. the home made scent eliminator recipe is:

1 Gal distilled water
16 OZ hydrogen peroxide (Walmart, yes brown bottle)
1 Box of A&H baking soda
2 shot glasses of HS laundry soap

Mix, keep in a dark container with the cap off for 2 days(light turns the peroxide into water or something like that) put some back in the peroxide bottle with a spray head/cap and spray everything you own, including the inside and outside of you clothing around the crotch and arm pits let dry play the wind and go get them! Hope this helps.

Bo
Old 10-29-2005, 05:48 PM

AFhunter, did you get the old style one or the new issue one? I’ve been thinking about doing the same for scent control and for the cold.

Bo

Old 10-29-2005, 06:51 PM

J-bones,

I've been hunting for a long time and have been through the whole cycle of scent covers and eliminators. I strongly suggest not using any kind of cover scent. There is no doubt in my mind deer can pick out and differenciate many odors at the same time. All that cover scent is doing is bringing attention to the bucks nose then with one good nose up in the air whiff, your busted. Take a shower with odor eliminating products before each time out and spray on odor eliminator if you want. The shower is extremely important.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:58 PM

I will agree with Trophy Seeker. Deer seem to have uncanny nack for sniffing out suspicious things....If you are gonna use a cover scent, use one that mimics things in your environment. This is gonna sound silly, but I look for mossy growth on the ground, rip it off and rub it on all the stinky areas of my body(gloves, crotch, neck, boots, hat). I also like to rub fresh dirt on my clothes when I am hiking in to a spot before I put all my clothes on.

vashadowhunter
Old 10-30-2005, 03:55 PM

Thank you all for the replys, I have never used a scented human scent eliminator before and feel I need to dig out all the acorn scented "crap" and donate it to the land fill, thanks again and good luck everyone>