Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about Grayling Jig >

Question about Grayling Jig

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Grayling Jig

Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about Grayling Jig

I've got a Grayling Jig and clamp fletcher http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0004544.jspand I wanted to know if I'm using this thing right. This jig has three "click in" positions for the feather/vanes but each position has a large area of play thatallows for different positioning. Is this because it's a cheap rig? I would think it would lock into a position without any variation. I also know if I flip the nock 180* the positions don't line up I would think they would be the same if the three positions were 120* apart. Right now I've only done my practice arrows and it's becoming more of an art than exact science to get the right spacing between feathers. I'd like to get more consistent before I attempt to do my hunting arrows. Also there seems to be a tightening screw at the base that has no real purpose, what is that for?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about Grayling Jig

Wish I could help, but... I only had one Grayling jig and only tried to fletch one arrow with it before I boxed it up and sent it back for a refund. "Cheap" is one word I'd use to describe it. I've got other words to use for it, but since this is a family site...

Find someone you don't like very much and pawn it off on them. A decent and relatively inexpensive jig is the BPE. Better is the Jo-Jan. Best is the Bitzenberger.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM

Yea i have never used one, i have used bitzenburgers and Arizona EZ flecthers, they both work great.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:58 PM

I've used a Grayling for a couple years and haven't had any probs. I'd say you got the thing set up wrong.....I remember changing from 3 to 4 fletch was a little tricky with the spring....if it'sassembled correctly, there shouldn't be any play??? I'd say look at the directions and make sure everything is together right. They are cheap, but they do work.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

each position has a large area of play
That's why I returned mine and went ang bought a Bitz!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 PM

There is a setscrew on the side of the knock dial that you need too lock into positison. This screw will allow a 15 degree variation, if it not screwed tight this will give you the play you are experiencing now.
Here is what the instructions say on line B.(Insert Nock Into Desired Position In The Knock Reciever(item B).Screw On The Knock Dial (F) Allows For A Fifteen Degree Variation And Should Be Locked Into Position
Before Any Glueing Is Started).
Once you get your dial isset towhere you want it lock down the set screw. Starting withthe cockfeather. Once you have this set where you want it tightenthe lock screwand you'll be all set .
This is what the screw at the base is for ..
Also do you have the instructions ?
I have a Grayling Jig and have had no problems with mine,once your all set you'll be happy with it , I have been pleased with mine..

Good luck Bill
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, either I didn't get any or I've misplaced them. Anyone have a link to a PDF version?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 AM

i agree w/ whoever said send it back iand buy a blitzenburger. i had never done a fletch in my life and you would think i was a pro w/ the blitz. they are great and so easy.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rush creek

i agree w/ whoever said send it back iand buy a blitzenburger. i had never done a fletch in my life and you would think i was a pro w/ the blitz. they are great and so easy.
LOL it's about three years old now. I limp by repairing my practice arrows but I'd like to get it working right so I can use it on my hunting arrows.