Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do??

Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default What to do??

Interesting situation I'd like your input on...

I hunt a piece of private land (300 acres)that I have permission to hunt. It's broken up by 200 acres on one side of a road and the other 100 on the other side of the road. There are 3 of us that hunt there. 95% of the hunting is on the 200 acre side.
I went for a little scout the other day on the 100 acre side. This chunk is mainly open grassy field with a little chunk of thickets about 15-20 acres. I was roaming around the thickets which is situated between a creek and a big ridge (nice little funnel). I found tremendous sign down there so I started looking for a nice location to set up on.

I start walking along the edge of the field on top of the ridge looking down at the flat creek bottom and come across a perfect ambush spot. There was a big blow down on top of the ridge overlooking the flats that would give me a 20-30 yard shot from about a 20 foot elevation looking down. There is a scrape and rub line all up and down the area below.

The problem is......someone else apparently thought it would be a great spot too. As I started looking around, I notice someone has trimmed a couple shooting lanes in the exact area. The thing is, I don't know of anyone else that hunts there. I've hunted this place for 5 years and have never run into another hunter or seen another truck parked (ever). There are a couple guys that gun hunt but they have box blinds on the 200 acre side and never go on the other side. I'm the only person that I know of that's ever even walked back there.

If there was a new party hunting the land we certainly would have seen them or run into them. I drive by the place everyday on the way to and from work and hunt there almost everyday and haven't seen anyone around besides us. I don't want to infringe on someone elses spot, but I don't know where to look and find out who carved the spot out. I'm really dying to hunt that spot too. What do you think I should do?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 AM

Default RE: What to do??

First I would check with the land owner and see if anyone else has permission to hunt the land. If not I would set up my stand and hunt on. You may encounter the person that was trimming up, but you can explain that when he was he was also tresspassing. If others have permission talk to that person and maybe work something out with him to hunt that part. That is what i would do

Mark
Old 10-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Spike

I would go the the landowner and ask them if anyone else has permission to hunt that area. It may be a trespasser. Let the landowner know that you don't want to mess up someone elses hunting spot, but also let them know that you are keeping an eye on things.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: mblb679

First I would check with the land owner and see if anyone else has permission to hunt the land. If not I would set up my stand and hunt on. You may encounter the person that was trimming up, but you can explain that when he was he was also tresspassing. If others have permission talk to that person and maybe work something out with him to hunt that part. That is what i would do

Mark
Ditto. Could be a trespasser and if he finds you in that spot, he more than likey wouldnt confront you about it.