Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
FIRST BOW KILL...PIE BALD BUCK PICS >

FIRST BOW KILL...PIE BALD BUCK PICS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FIRST BOW KILL...PIE BALD BUCK PICS

Old 10-06-2002, 07:26 AM

Default FIRST BOW KILL...PIE BALD BUCK PICS

I don't post here much, but have learned alot just by lurking. Here's the story of my first bow deer. I was in my stand very early this morning(Saturday), because I couldn’t sleep. Too much anticipation I guess. Anyway, I had to sit for about an hour and 15 minutes before it was legal shooting light. Had a few deer feeding in the corn in front of me about 50-100 yards away, but when it became light enough to see they were no where to be found. I have been so used to the hot weather, I hadn’t dressed quiet warm enough, and I was shivering pretty good by the time it got light. I was just sitting there wondering why I had gotten out of bed this morning and all of a sudden I see movement. Yep it’s a deer, but it has spots. I don’t think any fawns still have spots this late. The distance was around 40 yards, but it was obscured by brush/trees. Then I saw antlers!!!!! It was the pie bald I had seen during my spring scouting!! He was coming straight for me, and when his head went behind a tree I stood up and clipped on the release. My heart started pounding like the devil and my mouth went instantly dry. (Keep in mind this would be my first deer with a bow and only my second deer ever) I made up my mind that even if it were a spike I was going to shoot, so I didn’t even count points. I just couldn’t pass up a piebald. I didn’t know if he was going to turn left or right or if he was going to keep coming straight and go right underneath me. He turned to left and stopped with his head behind a tree. I slowly came to full draw. He took two steps and stopped again. I picked out a light spot on his vitals and put my 20 yard pin on the spot and slowly squeezed. PFFFT!!! The Thunderhead tipped carbon arrow was sent on its way. The buck crow hopped and trotted about 4 steps and turned around and looked at the arrow which was now embedded in the dirt. CRAP I MISSED!! I started to reach for another arrow, the whole time not taking my eyes off of the buck. As I got an arrow out of the quiver I saw the bucks legs buckle slightly and noticed an increasing red spot on the hide of the deer. Then he slowly laid down and did the splits. About that time I started shaking like a dog pooping razor blades. OH MAN WAS I PUMPED!! He hadn’t gone more than 10 yards from the spot he was shot. I was surprised he didn’t react more to my bow noise. I knew it was a quiet bow but I thought for sure he would run a little bit. No string silencers on my bow either. He was very relaxed and never knew I was there, so that helped in him not running I guess. He has 8 points, but a really scraggly rack. The elbow joint on his front rightleg was locked in the upright position and wouldn't come down. I suspect he was hit by a car and that's why his rack is scraggly looking. The shot was a quartering away shot that took out the top of the heart and both lungs. The hit looks high and a little back in the pics, but I assure you it caught him good. OK...now I’m just rambling. Here's the pics.

Dan Blair

Edited by - Dan B on 10/06/2002 08:45:47
Old 10-06-2002, 07:29 AM

Default RE: FIRST BOW KILL...PIE BALD BUCK PICS

Cool Buck, the one buck i seen this year kinda looked like that(antler wise)...congratulations
Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 AM

That would make a great shoulder mount, I have seen a couple of piebald's and 3 albino's over the year's but in michigan it's illegal to take them, Thumb's up
Old 10-06-2002, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it will make a great mount congrats on a job well done...
Old 10-06-2002, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a unique animal. You going to have the hide tanned, right ??
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 10-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Beautiful just plan beautiful. That is deer of a life time you lucky dog
Old 10-06-2002, 09:52 AM

great buck,congrats. if you don't mt. the head,be sure and have the hide tanned. that would be a beautiful stool cover or to throw over the couch.

that is trule a buck of a life time,as CD said,you lucky dog.
"You Done Did Good"

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:06 AM

Congratulations,that's a nice buck. Wish I would have seen one like that yesterday.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, super Buck!!!

That is going to be hard to beat. Certainly a buck of a lifetime. I have killed many deer with a bow and a number of Pope&Young bucks but I have never got a crack at one like that. It is simply a beautiful buck, worthy of a full body mount indeed. It would be a shame not to have it preserved because you don't see that type of piebald very often. I'm sure there are quality Taxidermist that would kill to get the full body cape of that buck.

Quick Reply: FIRST BOW KILL...PIE BALD BUCK PICS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.