Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 'Natural Selection' is alive and well >

'Natural Selection' is alive and well

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

'Natural Selection' is alive and well

Old 10-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default 'Natural Selection' is alive and well

I’m a first year bow hunter….and I’m hooked. I have never hunted deer in the past (background is waterfowl, turkey and upland bird hunting), but I decided I’d hunt ‘selectively’, this year….unless my wife decided we needed some venison in the freezer (I was so naive). My bowhunting goal is to take a gobbler with my bow (hence the moniker SBGobblers). I alsoTRULY love being amongst wildlife….and love being in the woods as much as being in a good flyfishing stream….catching fish or shooting game, aside.

Enough about me….I’m CONVINCED of the fact that bow hunters take deer is merely proof that the law of natural selection is in place (and proving itself, every day). I know some of you guys are experienced, seasoned hunters…and I say this PARTLY (wink) in jest. Here’s what I mean….

I was in my tree stand Saturday afternoon…..right where I wanted to be. I was careful of scent control. I had good cover….about 22’ up. I had the wind played in my favor. I was in a GREAT spot. I had seen deer in this area…and had yet to hunt this spot (saving it for the right conditions). It got near dark….and I’d decided I wasn’t going to shoot (too dark). I saw something about 60 yds away that looked like a small group of leaves had broken out of the top of a tree….and had gotten lodged into the greenery of a lower branch (dead leaves being dark brown and all.....this stood out). It would appear and disappear behind the trunk of a good sized tree….seemingly flowing in the wind. I decided to get my binoculars up and take a look at it. Well….it was a mature doe (her head)that had her hind in backed up to that tree….right on the edge of the woods….waiting for darkness to come to go out and feed. She would appear on both sides of the tree’s outline….kinda looking over her shoulders to see what was behind her.

I just smiled….and wondered HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED (to Me and everyone else?????). There’s no way she didn’t come right by me…ducking behind trees on her route, there). I felt really inadequate….at that moment, …..and I liked it. I couldn’t help but smile. It made sitting in that tree 6 hrs…..”OK”. I wondered if this had occurred EVERY TIME I was in the woods….and I not know it?????? God had one of his creatures toying with me.

They are truly one of God’s most elusive creatures…..and EVERY one harvested should be considered a trophy. I believe that.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2005, 09:34 AM

Default RE: 'Natural Selection' is alive and well

Yes it is amazing how they can sneak right under you and not even realize it. I am more dependent on my eyesight than hearing when deer hunting. The first doe I got this year was so quiet coming in. I didnt even hear her but I saw her after glassing for turkeys. I put my binos down and there she was.
Good luck to you this season!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 AM

I know what you mean. When I hunt I tell myself everytime I go out that a deer will come into my area. It is my job to "find Waldo". It is amazing how many times I just catch a glimps of a deer. It makes me wonder how many time I have missed that glimps.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Reel him in boys, he's hooked. I know exactly of what you speak