Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted Question

Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Busted Question

I was hunting yesterday and I was busted twice. I was busted once by a deer that I didn't even see. It just took off. Then two more deer came through they were about 10 yards away and the first move I made they looked up at me andtook off. I was pretty darn quiet. I never heard them snort though.

There was no wind what so ever. I could even hear the fabric of my suit moving whenever I moved. However I was roughing it this weekend and didn't take a shower since Friday morning and this happened on Sunday.

So did they wind me or did they hear me move?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 AM

Default RE: Busted Question

Hard to say. Sounds like they knew something wasn't right. I know one thing though, if you go a couple days without bathing here in La as hot as it is, wind or not, they would have no trouble winding you.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM

amen swamper - this saturday was the first day I've even used a second layer of clothes. Where do you hunt in la - I'm in monroe, but I hunt in union parish.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

very well could be both. no wind lets them hear any little noise. I had a little buck hear me turn my bow against my pant let on friday pm hunt. he didn't spook but he was one of those young ones that hasnt learned yet what danger is. Give me a day w/ a steady breeze anytime over a dead calm day. Wind will cover sound and @ least give you one direction the deer won't smell you from.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will a deer always snort when they wind you?

Tom
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Will a deer always snort when they wind you?

Tom
No. Their reactions range from alarming to silent escapeto sometimes being ignorant.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM

I have had a few deer wind me this year and not make a sound. Some of the deer I have observed have just ran away until they felt secure then stood there and looked back my way. But then I have had them blow once before they take off running. I think that it depends on the situation, if the deer gets a real strong scent it may blow, but if your scent isnt that strong they may not make a noise.