Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calls Working, anyone?? >

Calls Working, anyone??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calls Working, anyone??

Old 10-23-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Calls Working, anyone??

I finally have had a good outing, this morning woke up 4:30am, get out to my stand at 5:40am. Settle in on the new 20acres I got to hunt. About 6:45am see my first deer on the property, happens to be a nice buck. I could not see my pins, but I wanted him to come closer for a better look, I grunted at him and bleated and he kept walking.

At 7:30am, a small basket rack 6 or 8pt walks 20yds in front of me, its not the buck I am looking for, but I watch him tear a small sapling apart for 15 minutes, I let him get a little farther away, and grunted at him, and rattled, no repsonse whatsoever.

Maybe it is just a tad early, or something, but they won't respond to anything. Are you guys having any luck? If so what kind of sequences are you using?

Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calls Working, anyone??

I had a deer grunt back at me the other night, but couldn't see what it was. I did grunt at some deer about 80 yds away, but I honestly cannot say whether or not they heard me.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I think the calls will start working better around now. Also have to take in account that if it's a small buck the grunt may not work because he may be intimidated and keep walking.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out this morning and about 7:50 am I grunted and right on cue. . . about 8:00 am a nice high eight walked walked within 25 yards of me. I am about twenty yards off of a cut bean field. When I was in there yesterday I was like. . . "I should pull some of those vine branches down so I can get a shot at a buck that crosses in the field!" Anyways, I did not do my job covering all the shooting lanes and he stood right there in that lane. He began walking away. At fifty yards I grunted again. . . he came back looking into the woods but he did not see anything and got nervous. He circled all the way around me till he caught my scent and the gig was up. It made for an interesting morning. I am happy to see them reacting to some types of calls.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thy neverlisten to me either
Old 10-23-2005, 11:02 AM

In Wisconsin where I hunt, i have had a lot of success with grunting. I usually will grunt for right around a second or 2, wait a minute, do it again, wait five minutes, and repeat the sequence. After that I usually give it a half hour or so to see if any deer will come into range. I'd say just try some different things, and see what works.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy used his "Can" last Thursday in Arkansas and it turned a buck around. Don't know if he was already starting to chase or if he came back out of curiousity. It was a good deer though.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

There responding to calls here in Kansas now.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM

went out tonight in central illinois and had 7 does around me but were all about50 yrds out in the field feeding and none of them would respond to the grunt call i tried everything to get them to come in to me but they just went along with their business
Old 10-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friday afternoon an 8 point came to a bleat call I was using in my attempt to bring a doe I was watching in. He eventually saw her and began grunting while following her.

Quick Reply: Calls Working, anyone??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.