Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Down

Old 10-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Buck Down

Got this buck wendsday night on the land we bought a few months ago. Our friend who has property a mile from us emailed us trail cam pics of him in velvet and than we caught him on one of our cameras located in seven year old crp pines. The wind was right that night so I decided on the " Ole Hard luck stand". Now this was a cursed homemade stand the I made from an extension ladder, I inherited itfrom my grandpa who was the unluckiest ( or worst ) hunter in the north years. Over fifteen years, and four different properties around the state the results were always the same to anyone who hunted it, heartbreaks and sorrows.
I reached the stand at 5 pm taking my time to avoid sweating and spooking anything. Locatedjust below the top of a ridge I had the crp in front of me and a cut soy bean field behing me. At 6pm a heard noise behind me. A very large doe and her fawn. They came up from my rear and caught me by surprise. I was going to take the doe but they had me handcuffed. Unable to make a move I had to let them pass. As luck would have it the old girl headed right into the trail I walked in on. She got one whiff from my boots and turned and bolted back into the crp with her fawn on her heals. Once they were back in the woods I heard some loud crashing with the doe blowing. Right after that I heard a faint but unmistakable grunt. I thought to myself that it sounded like a young buck but I will try the grunt tube. Oops, forgot the tube but decided to try a light rattling sequence. Within seconds I heard a few steps than nothing for five minutes. Finally he started to come at a faster pace. He came out and stood broadside at ten yards. Did not take long to decide he was a shooter. The shoot was true, double lung tight to the shoulder. He ran 70 yards and crashed just out of view. Coyotes were howling and starting to move in within five minutes. When I arrowed him he was just ten feet from where the trail cam caught his picture. As you can see in the pix he broke part of his left brow tine off just below where it split. He still has 16 scorable points. Scores 172 and 3/8. Field dressed wt. 220. I suppose I need to think of a new name for " The Ole Hard Luck Stand "..... Dabow

Old 10-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Buck Down

Another pic

Old 10-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a before picture.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:03 AM

congrats and nice buck
Old 10-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a beautiful buck man!
Old 10-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jealous , Man that's one sweet buck!

Congrats!
Old 10-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats da - that is one beautiful buck. and at last the jinx is over for that stand!

Old 10-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is one awesome buck!!!! Congrats....hopefully I'll get one like that today.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

He's a beauty. Congrats.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

HEYYYYYYYY THAT DAWG WILL HUNT !!! CONGRATS ON A SUPER BUCK AND A GREAT BOW KILL !

DD
ROLL TIDE

Quick Reply: Big Buck Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.