Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Connected on a buck in NY, with a pic. >

Connected on a buck in NY, with a pic.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Connected on a buck in NY, with a pic.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Connected on a buck in NY, with a pic.

Finally got out today, first time since opening dayof bow. Wind was perfect for what I needed for my new stand, which only happens a couple days a season, since the wind is always SW here. Luckily it was NE today.

Got in the stand @ 2:45. Noticed the wind changed directions to NW and W...blowing my scent right through the woods into the alfalfa field...not what I wanted to see. Same time, three does came in the woods and caughtmy scent and busted me at 40 yards. They did not know where I was, so I know they winded me. Figured the day was ruined...then the wind started back to NE, it must have took all my scent off the woods that the does caught. 25minutes after the does hightailed it,a buck walked in from the same direction, and eventually landed within 10 yards of my stand. I hit both lungs.

The thing ran over 200 yards into the woods, doing a zig zag pattern. Took me and 2 others an hour to trail the blood. Luckily, my 10-year-old cousin came out with us, and he turned out to be part bloodhound, as he was the only one who could track. None of us would have even thought the buck would zig-zag like that.We'd see the blood trail go cold, and fan out to find it, but the kid always seemed to find the trail...he would double back immediately everytime right into the trail...needless to say, I'll be using his services again...I now believe what many hunters say about kids being really good trackers since they are closer to the ground.

Not a monster, but, still, a buck, and it feels good to get it under the belt for the season. Now, I'm after the 10-pointer I've got trail cam shots of, and maybe a doe.

I was shooting the Rocky Mtn. fixed 3-blade, normally shoot the montec's, but happened by chance to pull it out of the quiver. Had a complete pass-through, and the arrow literally destroyed the lungs. I was shocked. I've seen less destruction from a slug out of my 12-gauge. Also, this is the first buck I've taken with abow since changing to the Savage Pendulum sight...HOLY WOW! My draw-target aquisition-shoot time (on a deer)was by far the fastest I've ever had. At first, I was hesitant about using a pendulum, but I'm sold on it now. I have no idea how that thing ran so far with such an explosive hit. It's one I'll be telling the grandkids someday.

PS. The wife likes this picture because I look like I'm still in High School...haha.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Connected on a buck in NY, with a pic.

Really nice buck. Congrats!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Phade! That's a nice buck!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm giving you NY bowhunters a month to get your deer. Then I'm coming up the Wednesday before the gun season and whack me one with the bow. My wife says I have to make my annual pilgrimage. I'm putting her on a plane to Tenn. Wed AM early and leaving for Greene. I'll be in a tree by 1PM. Save me one deer.

Congrats on the deer.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Perfect timing for the rut here in WNY...I've always seen the biggest deer of the season during the 7 days preceeding southern zone gun opener.

Last year, I kicked up a P & Y bedded down with an estrous doe on the way into the stand for an afternoon hunt. I literally just watched in awe at the size of the thing.

Hope you bag one. There's plenty where I am. 8H is the ONLY wmu in the state to get an increase on doe permits, the rest of them all declined.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats Phade
Old 10-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go phade, a bow kill is a special thinggood luck on the 10pt'er
Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Congrats! Hows that pendulum sight when on the ground target practicing or such?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, but you could be smoking a pipe and wearing bifocals and you'd still look like you were in high school.

nice buck. i'm jealous.

Quick Reply: Connected on a buck in NY, with a pic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.