Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My comical doe story >

My comical doe story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My comical doe story

Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My comical doe story

Sorry I don't have any pics, as I forogt my camera when I went out this morning after last night's huntbut I will tell the story, it's kind of funny.
My two buddies and I arrived at the giant wheat field that my friends aunt owns. The field is surrounded by public land that is around a lake. After about 5 minutes of sitting on my chair, 2 4-wheelers came flying by jumping the 2 biggest bucks I've seen in the area probably 125-135 class deer. I was pretty disappointed because I was sitting on the trail I've seen these deer use, so I moved. I walked about a half mile to a place that I've never hunted. I setup my little folding stool right next to a big cedar tree that overlooked a clearing that I thought the deer might come through to cross the fence. Well, again here come the same 4-wheelers, but I was too unmotivated to move so I sat tight. With about 15 minutes of shooting light left, I was kind of bored and figured the ATV's had pretty well cleared out the deer so I began making a bunch of ridiculous deer sounds with my 2 grunt tubes and my can.Thisentertainment lasted about 2 minutesand I decided to go skunk hunting (still not sure why). Next,I put on my headlight (and turned it on for some reason), put my quiver on my bow and laid it in the grass. I put backpack in my lap and began loading it up with all my goods. I just happened to look up and saw 5 sets of ears looking at me. I chuckled to myself and went to put my bag down. Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip i grabbed the zipper on accident. Remembering that my headlight was still on, I reached up and turned it off. Then I reach down and pick up my bow, well all the arrows got tangled in the grass and it sounded like a gardener pulling weeds. Still chuckling at my comedy of errors, I knock an arrow and watch the first deer walk to my left and cross the fence. I draw back and kneel down awaiting the second doe. As she came to my second lane I whistled and she stopped, I let it go and heard the big THWACK. She bounded off but the other 3 were still standing there looking at me. I stood up and put my bag on my shoulders folded up the seat... they were still there. Eventually they left and we went and tracked my deer. Eventually finding her this morning not far from where she was shot. I guess it was just my day.

Sorry for the long story, and thanks for reading.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Default RE: My comical doe story

Ha, Good story man! Congrats!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Site Bouncer

Cool story and congrats on the deer.

Sometimes them deer can be so dumb you can't believe it.

When I was putting up one of my stands this year, making all kinds of noise, I put together my climbing sticks and started to mount it to the tree. Well when I got the top strap tight and came down for the stand. I turn and not 15ft away is thisdoe......just staring at me. So I stare back and she doesn't move, so I point at her and say "if it was hunting season you would be dead right now."........ Nothing, she just stood there. I put my hands on my hips and said "what do I have to do to get you to leave?"......Nothing, she just kept on standing there. Well it was getting dark so I just picked up my stand and climbed back up to hang it. After I was done I sat down and looked for her and sure enough about 35yds away there she was just milling around.

It's funny, sometimes you can make all the noise in the world and the deer just don't seem to mind, other times you can blink your eye and they jet out of the area faster than you can say "how did they know I was there?.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:32 AM

CONGRATS. Thanks for the story.

Deer can do the strangest things. Here in WV, our squirrel season opens the week before bow season, so I usually go squirrel hunting / scouting. Last year,I had just shot 2 squirrels with a 12 guage, and not 5 minutes later,the biggest 4-point that I have ever seen walks right up on me. He was about 10 yards away. I pretended to pull a bow back and said "thump! coulda had ya!". He just looked at me for a few seconds and went back to grazing.

This would never happen if I would have been deer hunting. I think that the deer can read the hunting regulations and know when the season starts!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 AM

haha great story.

I had 2 does under my stand the other night when it was getting too dark to shoot. I shined a flashlight on them, whistled, and was talking to them as they laid 10 yrds from my tree. I finally threw an arrow and they got up. I climbed down and packed my stand up. They were still about 20 yrds away b/c I could see their red eyes.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Yeah it was just your day. Funny story and good job.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:42 AM

Congrats on the Doe.

Tuesday morning about 20 minutes after it got light out I heard a loud crashing sound and look to my left to see a doe fall. I'm thinking someone is illegally hunting on the farm and shot the doe. Well no sooner than I think that I see the doe hop back up and start running around again and then another doe comes out chasing it. That made me laugh, I was thinking stupid kids.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 AM

A few weeks ago, I was getting in my stand for my evening hunt. I just climbed up and two does came flying by right under my stand. I figured they must have seen me climb up.

Ten minutes later, after I was situated, the same two came running back at full bore, jumped the creek I hunt by and were gone. I didn’t know what they hell they were doing. Fifteen minutes after that, the came running up the creek, splashing and making so much noise I didn’t know what was coming. When the stopped to eat the acorns under a tree 15 yards from me, I could see that they were fawns, and didn’t want to shoot them.

They made there way behind my stand, and I had stood up to watch them and was turned around, peeking out behind the tree trunk. Next think I know, mamma doe was snorting behind me. I hand no idea she was even there until she snorted, and it kind of scared me. The two fawns couldn’t care less, they just stood there looking at mamma like, “whats your problem?” She took off like a bat out of hell, the two fawns laid down. I had to break a stick in my stand to get them to leave so I could get out of my stand.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Now you can shine the horse shoe and go after the big boy!!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

good job for shooting a deer in the dark loser

Quick Reply: My comical doe story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.